real time web analytics
Report - - Croda Chemicals, Wirral 03/12 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Croda Chemicals, Wirral 03/12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Clough

L.L.S
28DL Full Member
VISITED WITH THE KWAN AND FOWLE

CRODA CHEMICALS

IMG_2369copy.jpg

Met up with The Kwan in Birkenhead and the top bloke that he is shown us round the fine smells, lights, sounds and derps of the Birkenhead area. The mans a gent thank you Sir!

The Company was founded by George Crowe in 1925 at Rawcliffe Bridge to purify lanolin a natural protective fat present in sheep's wool, sounds ace.

Leading cosmetic companies started using its products in the 1950s and at that time it also began to expand internationally and rapidly in the 1960s acquiring United Premier Oil in 1967 and British Glues & Chemicals in 1968. In 1990 it developed Lorenzo's oil, a product famously used to treat adrenoleukodystrophy (Google it I have no idea what that is) In 1998 it bought Westbrook Lanolin.

Croda's Wirral site closed with the loss of 115 jobs, turnover at the plant was 45million but made only 2.1million pennys. Croda is set to spend 40million decommisioning the plant but I cant see it costing that at all! Seems a couple of diggers and a few pikies every now and then are doing a fine job.

On with the pictures...

IMG_2352copy.jpg

IMG_2342copy.jpg

IMG_2301copy.jpg

IMG_2315copy.jpg

IMG_2408copy.jpg

IMG_2380copy.jpg

IMG_2295copy.jpg

And finally.....

PIIIIIIPPPPPEEEEEESS!

IMG_2401copy.jpg

Thank you!

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Still some good bits of pipework to see and some nice bits of processing equipment that is too big to fit in a shopping trolley and remains in situ :) some nice donkey jackets in the main reception too...I was sorely tempted but resisted.