real time web analytics
Report - - Croeser to Rhosydd slate mine through trip North Wales - 02/01/2022 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Croeser to Rhosydd slate mine through trip North Wales - 02/01/2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
HISTORY
(
stolen from wikipedia)

Croesor Quarry was initially worked from 1846 until 1878. From 1864 onwards, the quarry was connected to the slate wharves at Porthmadog by an incline to the head of the Croesor Tramway. After a hiatus, it re-opened in 1895 and continued in production until 1930.
In the 1960s the quarry was operated by Cookes Explosive, a local firm who used its underground chambers to store explosives. In the early 1970s it was purchased by the Ffestiniog Slate Company with a view to reopening it as a working slate quarry.
Planning permission for this was not granted and in the later 1970s most of the remaining mine infrastructure was removed for use in the Oakeley Quarry, also owned by the Ffestiniog Slate Company.

EXPLORE
(
not stolen from wikipedia)

The croeser to rhoysdd through trip is 2 large slate mines in North Wales that have a connection allowing for a truly amazing underground trip and is considered a classic trip with mine explorers and cavers.
this has been on our list for a while and after buying the right pulleys for the job we headed over,We spent around 7 hours underground tackling the fun absails, traverses over rotting wooden bridges, zip lines and even a boat.(our favourite part of the day had to be absailing into a kayak)

The mines are both big and one would make for a good explore to truly explore them both in depth would require more than a day trip so we are planning on coming back at somepoint to see more of rhosydd side as there seems to be a lot more to see here, the big open chambers(we didnt manage to photograph due to weather conditions) are definetly worth experiencing in the day time as ive never quite seen anywhere like it in the uk a rhoysdd to croeser trip perhaps? it was good to get down here and make a great day of it and appreciate the industrial heritage left behind.

Attachments

• 51801233471_e7a4972253_k.jpg
    51801233471_e7a4972253_k.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 37

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Nice ……the bridge of death shots are crisp :thumb

I really need to dig my SRT gear out it’s been to long

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Mines like this never cease to amaze me. Ive seen this one before, but never seen someone climbing the walls. Your photos are amazing if not a little heart stopping.
Kudo and huge respect for the sharing of this. Cant imagine how long it takes to be experienced enough to do something like this.

Having just watched The Rescue, as I admire mine & cave explorers immensely. It really brings it home how much of a danger these places can be. :Not Worthy

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Always love a good CRTT! what a 5* classic.
Your photos are so much better than any of mine.
I haven't been through since October 2020 and already looking at your pics I see some significant changes from when I was there last.

I am hoping to do the *OTHER* CRTT "Bigger, Harder, Longer" ;) maybe 4 weeks time. I am really looking forward to it, getting excited just writing this.
I don't know of anyone has ever written a report on that? Some of this only recently installed by S.C. (huge thanks to him!!) I need to test the results of his hard work. Also I need to go power tooled-up for something my own sinister designs. So far booked myself a couple of nights Travelodge (refundable/changeable booking) and not much more, not booked off work yet or cleared with the Mrs, but if I go it probably be another I-have-no-mates solo as I know some that might join me for the standard route but I don't think they could handle the full bad-boy especially not the shaft.

It'd probably be something like: big shaft, "spicy" high traverse, 3 ziplines, electron ladder, abseil -->rejoin classic CRTT at second pitch (not sure of that is before or after?) and follow until after chamber of horrors, perhaps I can add small variation in the Rhosydd side also (had something in mind for 18 months now, but not got round to it), not yet sure of that part route.
Hope to have a couple of reports for you guys end Feb maybe Conglog/CRTT/something else? but I don't think any of my pics will be as good as the ones above, they are really nice. Some powerful light for those pics, really like the way it highlighted the blue of the water under the "suspension bridge" without over saturating the rest.

tigger

mog
Regular User
I don't know of anyone has ever written a report on that? Some of this only recently installed by S.C. (huge thanks to him!!)

On other bulletin boards but not yet on here. Speedycaver has done (and continues to do) excellent work with the aids in there opening up a nice additional section for those suitably proficient with the right kit.

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Mines like this never cease to amaze me. Ive seen this one before, but never seen someone climbing the walls. Your photos are amazing if not a little heart stopping.
Kudo and huge respect for the sharing of this. Cant imagine how long it takes to be experienced enough to do something like this.

Having just watched The Rescue, as I admire mine & cave explorers immensely. It really brings it home how much of a danger these places can be. :Not Worthy