Web
Analytics
Report - - Crookham Court - April 2015 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crookham Court - April 2015

mastings1066

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with my dad. First ever post and first ever proper/successful explore - and was a brilliant one at that!

The neighbor who's well known for calling the police on explorers was standing in the grounds when we arrived, so we parked up elsewhere and took a route through the bushes. I've heard many reports about it being extremely hard to get into, but we must have been in luck as we found a way in straight away. I guess it all depends on whether maintenance have been recently or not.

Was extremely trashed in comparison to reports I've seen from only a few months ago and I don't know where to draw the line between trashed and dangerous to be honest. There were many holes in the floor when we got onto the second floor, and my foot was only inches away from going through one at one point. Some of the holes have got a wooden plank laid over the top, but had to be very careful and watch my footing closely after that.

Was nice and bright on the second floor, as all windows are smashed/open however inaccessible from outside. It's a shame to see that so much damage has come upon the place, but it was still so worth while.

The second floor windows are all boarded in, and all I had with me was a small torch and my camera flash, which was stupid of me. However, could still see the rooms fine and that didn't worsted the experience - actually made it better as some rooms were pitch black and kinda creepy which got my blood pumping a bit;)

This site has been done to death so everybody probably already knows the history, but to anyone who doesn't:

Crookham Court stands on the former site of Crookham manor house, built around the start of 14th century and destroyed in 1543, and subsequently demolished around 1850. The construction of the current building started around this time and continued in two more phases over the next fifty years.
It served several purposes,one as a manor house then a junior school and then school for the children of the Military serving at Greenham Common. It was abandoned for some time after the US Air Force left the area and purchased in 1961 when it was used as a boarding school until 1990.In 1988 there was a well-publicised case of child abuse by several members of staff which was covered on Esther Rantzen’s show That’s Life. This had apparently been going on for thirty years but it was only when the headmaster Mr. Gold joined the school in 1987 that it was discovered and reported. Three were convicted, including the principal who was the owner of the building. Over twenty years later the teacher who had been set free was also convicted when another victim came forward; he has tried appealing,but it has since been turned down

It's a real shame that such terrible things happened in here, and the local youth are obviously aware of it too, as there is too much graffiti, pointing it out, to count.

Absolutely amazing experience and I'm definitely doing exploring again. Love it.

Now for the pictures:

013.JPG

015.JPG

Loved this set up:thumb
016.JPG
017.JPG

A bit random...
020.JPG
021.JPG
022.JPG

Didn't notice till looking back on the photos that there were two dead birds ^_^
025.JPG
023.JPG
031.JPG
034.JPG
078.JPG
089.JPG

One of my absolute favourite parts - amazing that it's still intact.
091.JPG
053.JPG
048.JPG
044.JPG
065.JPG
058.JPG
067.JPG

Such a shame that some idiots have ripped out all of the railings and dropped them on the floor below. Being the scaredy-cat that I am, was bricking it when walking around the corridor up the top. :D
069.JPG
070.JPG
099.JPG
098.JPG

Only remnant left in the chapel
097.JPG

This was dumped in the main lobby, which I believe used to be in the library?
101.JPG
105.JPG
106.JPG
107.JPG
111.JPG
125.JPG

LOVED this set up. Favourite room - thank you to who ever did this! :D
127.JPG
129.JPG

It's Amazing that these are still there
139.JPG
137.JPG
143.JPG

Shame the inside's been completely ripped out. Would've loved to have a play :p
148.JPG

Kind of ironic that the security hut is now derelict too
149.JPG

Completely trashed with furniture from inside/rubbish
View attachment 1114
And the grand building itself...
158.JPG

Sorry if they are similar to other posts - I tried to get some different perspectives and angles on it. T'was an absolutely amazing explore and has me eager to go again!

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

zombizza

Pink
Regular User
God, that is so awful. The place has been totally ransacked.
Is this part of a clear out for refurb? or is it major pikey/chav damage I wonder?
The way it had been emptied on the lawn is so large scale that it could be official business?!
This really is a waste of a beautiful building.

Bertie Bollockbrains

The Spice Must Stop
Regular User
Is this part of a clear out for refurb? or is it major pikey/chav damage I wonder?
The way it had been emptied on the lawn is so large scale that it could be official business?!
When I was there recently, I figured that the many tons of rubbish on the lawns was fly-tipping. It didn't look to be the sort of stuff that would had come from the house clear-out. Just letting you know.

The bannisters and railings on the main stairs were trashed within the last couple of weeks, and the rubbish on the lawn has been there many months.

mastings1066

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm thinking along the lines of the latter. Didn't look official or to do with refurbishment. Just a load of chavs with nothing better to do I think. There were some rooms more tucked away that have preserved better - you can tell it was once a really beautiful building.

Paradox

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Shame its so trashed but good first report and some cracking pics you got there, thanks for sharing :thumb

Choo Choo m8ty

Mr Reality Hacker
Regular User
Yea shame on damage but some decent features still remain and good pics also thx for report.