Report - - Crookham court/ Manor house- Crookham- july 13 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crookham court/ Manor house- Crookham- july 13


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
For upwards of two hundred years the manor and rectory of Crookham belonged to distinguished members of the house of Salisbury, and for nearly two hundred years previously, with a short interval of less than twenty years, to the Fitzherbert family distinguished men most of them warriors and statesmen.
Crookham was one of four manors into which the parish of Thatcham was divided at the time of Domesday. The first lords of the manor of Crookham were the Abbots of Reading, but by 1321 it had reverted to the Crown, who granted it to various noblemen during the centuries that followed. The first manor house was destroyed in 1543. Its successor was pulled down some time between 1845 and 1897.
In 1748 the neighbouring Chamberhouse estate was purchased by George Amyand; he later extended his landholdings in the area with the purchase of part of Crookham manor and by 1768 had built the first Crookham House on the site of the present one. The Chamberhouse manor and estates were sold to Henry Tull in 1798; his family were living in Crookham House by 1847. It was they who pulled it down in about 1850 and erected the first phase of the present house on the same site. In 1830, Crookham House was involved in the so-called 'Captain Swing' riots when agricultural workers, concerned about their standard of living, roamed the countryside, breaking the agricultural machinery which they believed was keeping wages down. On the evening of 17 November 1830 a group of men arrived at Crookham House (the forerunner of the present building) intending to smash machines owned by the lord of the manor, Richard Tull. They were met by Tull himself, his own labourers and special constables, but the mob failed to disperse. Tull and his men seized the ringleaders and a dozen or so were taken to Reading gaol. Crookham House is in a simple neo-classical style and was built in three phases between 1850 and 1900. It was not destined to be a country residence for long: in 1939 the house, as well as a number of cottages and farms on the estate, was sold. Crookham House was bought by the Great Western Railway Company, and during the Second World War, their Chief Goods Manager had his offices there. After the war, the house was used for a variety of activities: as a school for military drivers, as the junior school of Carmel College and from 1953 it was used for some years by the US Air force as a school for the children of service personnel based at RAF Greenham Common. When they moved to other premises, the house fell into disuse until it was purchased in 1961 and re-opened as a boarding school - "Crookham Court", which closed in 1990. Since then the building was divided into apartments and stayed that way untill its closure in 2007, and since has stood derelict.

Hope you enjoy the pics

original manor house




















Last edited: