real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Crowhurst Manor House- January 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Crowhurst Manor House- January 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ExplorerCouple101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Firstly, please note this was a permission visit- unable to visit without permission. This is because the site is still used.

This location is set within Crowhurst. The upstairs of a wedding venue and pub has been left to decay and become a state of disrepair.

Some history of the location. I couldn't find much, so please excuse the messiness of the history. :(

The manor house was once a leading source of ironstone and timber, during the Roman Times. The ironstone was taken to the coast and transpoted to every corner of the Roman Empire.

1627 was the earliest record of the manor house. This being recorded that an old iron fireback was once situated in the inglenook fireplace. The manor house has been used for a majority of different purposes. This includes being a base for Canadian soldiers just before the D Day landings, a hotel, country pub and even a nursing home. Since 1952, since been wedding venue, pub and caravan site/ holiday homes.

The Pelhams family and the Papillons are the two main families who have owned the site since the begining. However, it was on Wednesday 11th February 1942 the whole estate was put up for auction due to having no heirs to pass the estate onto. The sale/ auction occured at Devonshire Hotel, Bexhill by Messrs Jackson Stopps & Staff.

I am unsure on how long the upstairs has been left to decay. However, I do know it has been empty for about 15 years minumum. (Speaking to staff who have worked there).