real time web analytics
Report - - Crumpsall Library - 21/03/08 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crumpsall Library - 21/03/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

N

NorthMancBeds

I have been looking at this for a while, given the other great Victorian buildings on here that have been accessed by other explorers. Went with a friend this time (after two other offers were declined). It was his birthday yesterday and he was remarkably bright given it was the afternoon after the night before. (Thanks Ads) It was mid-afternoon and we were pretty bold about it. Once inside, it was apparent that the buidling was ina poor state of repair. Once the pigeons are inside it can be more or less ‘goodnight’. There was a lot of damp, but in places this had made paint peel to reval the original tiles in a noveau style, so silver lining then?

I have attached a poem to this post which I found whilst researching the buidling last night. There are a few lines in there that really made me smile. (I only actually read the content upon return) Do read it, the line about ‘daytime raid’ stood out, and it mentions the Byzantine dome of which I have include a shot, but the mood of the whole poem was kinda like this explore…

The library was transferred to Abram Moss College in 1974 and in my living memory the building was an Afro-Carribean Resource Centre, but there was a shooting at a party in 1999 after which it pretty much closed.

There are a few facts below from other sources

From www.wikipedia.org

John Henry Price (1867â€â€10 April 1944) was Manchester's first city architect. He was responsible for a number of well known Manchester landmarks.

Former Crumpsall & Cheetham District Library
Cheetham Hill Rd, 1909-11. Grade II Listed. Empty and unused in 2003.The Library was moved in July 1974 to new accommodation in the Abraham Moss Centre.

From www.bbc.co.uk

Sunday, 26 December, 1999, 12:42 GMT
Man shot dead at Christmas party

Police have sealed off a section of Greater Manchester after a 30-year-old man was shot dead at a Christmas Party.

Shocked revellers watched as the man was shot in the head at close range at a function at the Manchester Black Community Trust in Cheetham Hill, just after 0530 GMT on Sunday.

Armed officers were called to the building after getting reports that the man had been shot.

Despite desperate attempts by paramedics the man died at the scene from the gunshot wounds.

The area around a fast food restaurant and library has been sealed off as murder hunt detectives carry out a search of the crime scene.

Greater Manchester Police said it was too early to speculate on a motive for the attack, and would not comment on whether it was gang-related, following a recent spate of shootings in the area.

A police spokesman said: "There are very few details at the moment.

"The shooting happened overnight in the Cheetham Hill area of the city. A man has died and we are investigating."

CLext001.jpg

CLint002.jpg

CLint009.jpg

CLint003.jpg

CLint007.jpg

CLint008.jpg

CLint001.jpg

CLint006.jpg

CLint005.jpg

CLint004.jpg

in-crupmsall-library-02.jpg

Pleased to get in here as I think it hasn't been done before and the mancunians are hard to keep up with, massive props for the underneath-underneath-g-mex.

N

NorthMancBeds

Re: Crumpsall Library - 21/03/08 - Report

Some more pictures from my friend’s camera.

The printer.

CLint014.jpg

One of the stained glass windows.

CLint011.jpg

Kitchen and signage

CLint013.jpg

Pensive pose?

CLint012.jpg

Paint peels to reveal tiles.

CLint010.jpg