real time web analytics
Report - - Cults Limestone Mine: Deeper Flooded Areas - Fife - Feb 2018 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cults Limestone Mine: Deeper Flooded Areas - Fife - Feb 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Most the deep central and nearly all eastern areas now beneath the water table, this report is mostly of areas where flooding prevents further exploration.

A small bat was seen flying around briefly but it was quite far from the entrance, I've looked for roosting bats on these winter visits but never seen any before though Cults should be ideal for them with its heavily cracked and fissured ceilings.

The water in Cults always has a sort of thin scum on the surface, which accounts for the rather murky look.

Few pictures from a deep section off of the 'long walk' central haulage route, Cults extends far further than is now accessible, with

DSC_7142.jpg

DSC_7130.jpg

DSC_7135.jpg

DSC_7145.jpg

DSC_7150.jpg

DSC_7162.jpg

DSC_7164.jpg

DSC_7166.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In another area was this very precarious looking about metre long boulder hanging down from the ceiling, Cults has had a great deal of roof fallen down, some of it very large boulders.

DSC_7185.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah probably one of the more sketchy mines I have visited, the ceiling is not too great to say the least. Also recall it being easy to get lost in. Been about ten years since I went so the memories are getting hazy! Good to see it again.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah probably one of the more sketchy mines I have visited, the ceiling is not too great to say the least. Also recall it being easy to get lost in. Been about ten years since I went so the memories are getting hazy! Good to see it again.
Thanks, Cults is still open access though some of the entrances were blocked last year, it would take a great many visits to see every part of the mine.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Couple more pictures from this visit hadn't got round to editing before, a larger chamber and another flooded passage.

DSC_7155.jpg

DSC_7161.jpg