real time web analytics
Information - - Cults Limestone Mine Partly Sealed July 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Cults Limestone Mine Partly Sealed July 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JohnSmith

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As of last week, most of the entrances have seen a digger come along and scrape the overburden down, sealing the portals. I would love to know how they knew nobody was inside when they did it...

Out of the 10 entrances that were in place originally, only two now remain accessible.

Though be warned, the two remaining entrances are small and very fragile with the overburden directly overlying the solid strata which is showing fatigue through cracking, flaking and loose rock faces. If this solid brace fails, several metres of soil will bury each portal. These entrances are at least 500 m away from one another in different sections; so if there is a failure, there is little hope of tracking back to another opening.

Just a heads up.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I live in Perth and was going to visit Cults, is it one huge mine or is it a series of separate unlinked mines?
I think its been sealed due to some stupid local kids who got lost in there late last year and had a rescue call out, the news article mentioned that the police were raising the question of the mine being sealed.

Regards, Dave.

JohnSmith

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's one huge mine that is connected. The workings range from older chaotic-all-over-the-place layouts with some modern entrance tunnels in the west towards modern grid layouts to the east. Several straight main tunnels went the whole way across the 2km width of the mine west to east. But these are at least 500m inside the hill, so they are very deep and may not be accessible.

I would be cautious, the place is a maze and is very dangerous if you get lost. Tunnels head into the hill for at least 1km and the entire mine is several km across. Given what I mentioned in the last section of the first post, I personally don't think it's worth the risk now.

Last edited:

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks, I will probably have a 'look' at the place but won't be do anything that look suicidal.

RichardB

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was up there around the same time as the OP and noticed this too. It's no surprise really as the amount of string and paint down there was getting ridiculous. It seems that a few weeks after the incident that made the news another party did exactly the same thing again- didn't stick together, at least one of them using a phone torch and called the police in again- although that time the police seem to have kept it a bit more low key. With all that going on it's no surprise that they've had to block the place off.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As of last week, most of the entrances have seen a digger come along and scrape the overburden down, sealing the portals. I would love to know how they knew nobody was inside when they did it...

Out of the 10 entrances that were in place originally, only two now remain accessible.

Though be warned, the two remaining entrances are small and very fragile with the overburden directly overlying the solid strata which is showing fatigue through cracking, flaking and loose rock faces. If this solid brace fails, several metres of soil will bury each portal. These entrances are at least 500 m away from one another in different sections; so if there is a failure, there is little hope of tracking back to another opening.

Just a heads up.
Little hope of tracking to another opening? I'll be

Just a heads up.

'if there is a failure, there is little hope of tracking back to another opening'. I'll be touching on this question in report later tonight, was out there last Friday for a look.