real time web analytics
Report - - Cults mine: brick lined adit visit - Fife - Nov 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cults mine: brick lined adit visit - Fife - Nov 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I didn't realise this entrance still existed, I'd assumed it was bulldozed like some of the others but I saw a recent youtube video of a visit to it. Its the westernmost adit and was the main haulage route for the deeper pumped out sections of the mine, it ran about 700 metres straight to the deepest and most recent (1950s - about 1965) part of the mine but now begins to flood about 100ft in from the entrance. Something that pictures don't convey very well is how steeply down this adit slopes, theres a very noticeable downward gradient when you look in from the concrete blocked entrance. A lot of old steel drainage piping remains in a tunnel to the left but I couldn't properly explore this due to water, theres also a cavern with extensive flowstone formations on the walls and roof. The adit itself leads down into ever deepening water, looking at the map i'm doubtful that the actual worked areas could be reached before the water reaches the roof but it would be interesting to go back with waders and see how far in it can be accessed.
a warning to anyone thinking of visiting this entrance, its a very tight and awkward squeeze between the concrete blocks and the steel girder supporting the roof, anyone of large or stocky build would likely find it impossible, I nearly got stuck fast and i'm not of large build.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
the blocked up entrance, down a slope near the crossroads.
DSC_6524.JPG

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looking in from the entrance, the
DSC_6556.jpg
slope of the tunnel should be evident (look at the line of the brickwork)

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
short as it is, this entrance does at least have the classic 'adit' look, with many beams and bars supporting the roof.
DSC_6531.jpg

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
DSC_6552.jpg
the horrendous looking collapsed section, just before it floods, but theres actually still a lot of heavy steel beams supporting the partial collapse.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
DSC_6543.jpg
flowstone and stalactites in a cavern off the adit, wh
DSC_6545.jpg
ere the piping is.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I didn't realise this entrance still existed, I'd assumed it was bulldozed like some of the others but I saw a recent youtube video of a visit to it. Its the westernmost adit and was the main haulage route for the deeper pumped out sections of the mine, it ran about 700 metres straight to the deepest and most recent (1950s - about 1965) part of the mine but now begins to flood about 100ft in from the entrance. Something that pictures don't convey very well is how steeply down this adit slopes, theres a very noticeable downward gradient when you look in from the concrete blocked entrance. A lot of old steel drainage piping remains in a tunnel to the left but I couldn't properly explore this due to water, theres also a cavern with extensive flowstone formations on the walls and roof. The adit itself leads down into ever deepening water, looking at the map i'm doubtful that the actual worked areas could be reached before the water reaches the roof but it would be interesting to go back with waders and see how far in it can be accessed.
a warning to anyone thinking of visiting this entrance, its a very tight and awkward squeeze between the concrete blocks and the steel girder supporting the roof, anyone of large or stocky build would likely find it impossible, I nearly got stuck fast and i'm not of large build.
should read easternmost entrance.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks good! Could you (or a mod) merge these into a single post?
I don't know, I posted the pictures individually as otherwise you can't (as far as I know) add any text to the pictures explaining what they're of.