real time web analytics
General - - Cults mine visit - Fife - July 2018 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Cults mine visit - Fife - July 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was my eleventh visit to this place but its such a large and complex system that you could visit it twenty times and still not see every area. This is partly because of how slow movement tends to be, what with much of it being very rough uneven ground with all the waste rubble and boulders that have fallen from the roof, the chaotic, maze like tunnel layout tends to be quite confusing also.
I did the four mile walk from the train station at Ladybank in hot sun, when I got to the eastern entrance it was draughting quite strongly and the air coming out of the mine actually felt really cold after the heat, though its not really cold inside, just the temperature contrast. I'd meant to do a longer tour of the central area, to emerge from the western entrance but got carried away removing graffiti (I take a wire brush last few visits and always try to remove some of the paint), I did see some of the flooded areas I'd not found before though and a section where the limestone seam meets a lighter coloured sandstone layer, giving the roof a yellowish look. The water level had dropped, but not a great deal, perhaps about six inches, to significantly drain the flooded section though it would have to drop about twenty or thirty feet, which obviously isn't going to happen without pumping out water. There may be areas where you could see more by wading in to the floodwater though it mostly seem to reach the roof quite quickly due to the downward dip of the seam.
302.JPG
316.JPG
318.JPG
328.JPG
334.JPG
337.JPG

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Rural Fife looking down from Cults hill, its been so dry they were irrigating the fields, not normally necessary in Scotland!
344.JPG

novice_strength

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking photos as always mate! :Not Worthy

I know what you mean about the cool breeze coming out the entrance, had that last summer and it was so refreshing after being in the heat for so long :D Complete opposite during winter when the hot air blasts out and steams up the glasses lol.

It must be a losing battle getting rid of that graffiti though :banghead

I need to get myself down there again soon, need to get that compass first ;)

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking photos as always mate! :Not Worthy

I know what you mean about the cool breeze coming out the entrance, had that last summer and it was so refreshing after being in the heat for so long :D Complete opposite during winter when the hot air blasts out and steams up the glasses lol.

It must be a losing battle getting rid of that graffiti though :banghead

I need to get myself down there again soon, need to get that compass first ;)
Thanks, its not advisable to venture deep inside without a compass as it gets confusing fast if you lose your bearings. The graffiti is a curse, some people have taken actual cans of emulsion in there with them, making a hell of a mess.

novice_strength

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks, its not advisable to venture deep inside without a compass as it gets confusing fast if you lose your bearings. The graffiti is a curse, some people have taken actual cans of emulsion in there with them, making a hell of a mess.

I definitely agree with that, one wrong turn and a 10 minute explore turns to a 10 hour escape!

I seen all that when the main entrance was open. Still I would take some graffiti over all the trash that gets dumped there