real time web analytics
Question - - Curious to know.. Sentimental locations | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Curious to know.. Sentimental locations

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Fluffy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm going to show my soft side here, but fuck it, this is something that's been buzzing round my head for a while, so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else ever feels the same way.

Have any of you ever had to come across an abandoned place that you had a true connection to? I'm not talking about somewhere you vaguely liked, I mean more like a place you were genuinely sentimentally attached to. Somewhere that had family connections maybe?

There's a place near me, and no you can't have the location ;) that's recently closed, and part of me is genuinely anxious/angry/scared, whatever, that it'll get looted, trashed and burned. It's somewhere I spent most evenings growing up and somewhere I'm deeply, deeply fond of. Circle of life I suppose...

I'm sure I'm going to get told to 'man up' here, or 'it's just bricks and mortar' but I'm curious if anyone else has felt this way about a location before?

Commence ridiculing...

All the best.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Loads of places......normally replaced with shite housing.

most recently twickenham riverside lido ,was derelict in the 80’s spent much time skating and smoking joints.
Got knocked down in 2001 and the council have been fighting to build flats there since then.

Poor Redevelopment pisses me off

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
A local mine to me I use to be very attached to but since the major uprise in people trying to get famous from exploring I have gave up caring about it realised I didn’t own it neither of us was aloud to be there .

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I have a few very sentimental places in my heart, all of which are gone now.

Both Water Eaton Grain Silo and RAF Upper Heyford I visited a lot during my first few years of exploring, being very local to me. I have some very very fond memories from both places, they both are very special to me and I was truly gutted when the last part of the Upper Heyford school was demolished earlier this year.

The other one is a bit 'out there' and does at least have a happy ending in that the building is now beautifully renovated rather than demolished. Selma Plantation House near Leesburg, Virginia, is a place that has given me a feeling like no other. It's probably the only place I've been that I well and truly fell in love with the moment I saw it, there was something about it's commanding presence sat on a hill and the pure beauty of the place in the snow which really captured my heart. I found it very difficult to leave the house, there was something magnetic drawing me to it. If I had the money and the time, the house would be my home, but instead it was bought a few months after my visit and has now been restored into a breathtaking family home once more.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Patons shoelace mill for me... loved every moment I spent in there. Probably my favourite of the thousands of buildings I've rummaged in.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
St Thomas medical school - spent the best years of my life there, grew up there, met my wife there. It was so weird visiting it peeling. A mix of sadness, nostalgia and then my underlying love for decay, Was a really weird feeling.

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Yes, it happens to most if not all who start exploring from a grassroots/local curiosity angle!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I started exploring locally for the love of world war two infrastructure and then gradually expanded my horizons rapidly when I learnt that people explore and document derelict buildings. I prob still feel sentimental seeing my earlier places. Stenigot and Nocton hall were my first explores out of Norfolk. So they hold quite a few memories. But the one place mostly was GBs, it was the one I wanted to see the most. And was so excited and happy when I first got in, and that excitement as never been as high as that since.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Edison Swan Cable Works, Lower Lydbrook. A place I gazed at when I was 14 in awe and fantastic to explore it some 10 years later.