real time web analytics
Report - - Cwm Coke (Demo) - Beddau - South Wales - July 2020 | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cwm Coke (Demo) - Beddau - South Wales - July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Bummer. I'm especially annoyed cos I only managed an hour in here before finding myself in the wrong spot between some idiot kids noisily smashing stuff up and security with his dog. Unfortunately I was collateral damage.
There really isnt much stuff like this anymore this side of the Channel

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Sadtimes when something thats been about this long on the scene finally gets taken down. Nice update matey

flying solo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
While on my travels today I stopped at The Boys Village and here and sadly both are being ripped down. When I turned to go to the boys village there were two big tippers. one coming out and another going in. At Cwm I couldn't see much but what I could see was loads had gone :(

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, demolition is has really progressed, with the site now 50% - 60%* rubble perhaps (*not a scientific or informed calculation). However, there may be delays to the demolition of at least one structure - the Charging Tower (which was still in-situ last Saturday connected to the VERY rickety, leaning and buckling hopper structure: Peregrine falcons are currently nesting in and/or around the Tower, also, there was also a colony of bats at the base of the tower with warning signs up to prevent entry due to their presence. Not sure if the bat colony is still there (doubtful) but at least one family of falcons definitely are.

Also last weekend, there were also two parties occurring in the fields either side of the Works. A bit surreal hearing the laughter of girls and Kanye West drifting over the air while exploring the site and dodging the active security patrols.

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Yes, demolition is has really progressed, with the site now 50% - 60%* rubble perhaps (*not a scientific or informed calculation). However, there may be delays to the demolition of at least one structure - the Charging Tower (which was still in-situ last Saturday connected to the VERY rickety, leaning and buckling hopper structure: Peregrine falcons are currently nesting in and/or around the Tower, also, there was also a colony of bats at the base of the tower with warning signs up to prevent entry due to their presence. Not sure if the bat colony is still there (doubtful) but at least one family of falcons definitely are.

Also last weekend, there were also two parties occurring in the fields either side of the Works. A bit surreal hearing the laughter of girls and Kanye West drifting over the air while exploring the site and dodging the active security patrols.

I could see the falcons about just wasnt sure which bird it was, they were going crazy when i was close to the tower, im amazed it didnt alert the security cabin.

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I could see the falcons about just wasnt sure which bird it was, they were going crazy when i was close to the tower, im amazed it didnt alert the security cabin.

They were going crazy when we were there too, but even when we were on the other end of the site, so either the little 'uns were being stalked by an animal or someone else was there. Security confirmed it was Peregrins, but there was no mention of the bat species. Yes, the cabins aren't too far away but they are also very close to the big genny, so that probably masks some of the noise from further inside the site I guess.

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ahh..it's going quick now. I was hoping the nesting peregrines would save it!
That last pic you posted is an iconic shot, captures everything happening in one shot! Good update, too!

Attachments

• 50087917816_f898becc6b_c.jpg
    50087917816_f898becc6b_c.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 30

Scarlet_rouge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Irritating...went there with my ex exploring buddy and he was "too sore" to go in (and too scared as there were kids there). Drove all the way from Bath, and he didn't get us any food I was starving!! Did find.some other locations but that was the one I wanted

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I called round here a few weeks ago. Most of the metal work has gone and they've chopped off the lowest level of stairs for most buildings. It's still impressive and worth a look. Security seems reduced too.

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I called round here a few weeks ago. Most of the metal work has gone and they've chopped off the lowest level of stairs for most buildings. It's still impressive and worth a look. Security seems reduced too.
Wowsers! I thought this place would have been long since erased, such was the speed of work a couple years' back. Which structures are still there currently? I might be tempted to go back there if it's still worth a look. Thanks for the update!

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wowsers! I thought this place would have been long since erased, such was the speed of work a couple years' back. Which structures are still there currently? I might be tempted to go back there if it's still worth a look. Thanks for the update!
Things still there: the pump house, the boiler house, two hopper buildings, the main building, but a layer has been demolished, several of the ancillary buildings, and the tallest building in the centre. They've removed most of the metal work and they've cut the bottom stairs off everything so you need to find ways of getting up to the first floor.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
The only reason they demolished what they did was because scrap prices were pretty high at the time - if only they'd waited another two years they would have been laughing all the way to the local scrappy.

DanMoist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We visited again this weekend and saw a man in hi vis who looked a bit like security. We never saw him again in four hours on site so no idea who he was.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
We visited again this weekend and saw a man in hi vis who looked a bit like security. We never saw him again in four hours on site so no idea who he was.
Always used to b secca with a dog but he wasn't that good & it's a big enough place to hide tbh

Who has read this thread (Total: 434) View details