real time web analytics
Report - - Cwm Coke Works Beddau April 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cwm Coke Works Beddau April 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lil'Legs

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
20160401_1437081_zpsaxppbugx.jpg

Hi,

New member here, posting my first report on somewhere that has seen a lot of Traffic over the years, but none the less is still very impressive in terms of size and engineering: Cwm Coke Works in Beddau, Wales. As this place was only posted recently I will keep the history brief but sweet.

History
The Place was originally a colliery named "Cwm Colliery" situated in Beddau, just south of Pontypridd in Rhondda Cynon Taf. It was sunk in 1909 but no coal was actually extracted until 1914, which was extracted from two shafts, Margaret and Mildred. The shafts were over 750 yards deep. In 1928 the colliery was taken over by Powell Duffryn Associated Colleries Limited, and at this point it employed over 1000 men. It operated under their name until 1948 when the National Coal Board (NCB) was established to manage the nationalised coal industry in the UK. The NCB updated the colliery in a massive £9 million redevelopment between 1952 and 1960. This included connection Cwm (pronounced "Coomb") to Coedely Tonyrefail, and of course building a massive Cokeworks, Cwm Coke.

In the 70s, the cokeworks alone employed 1,500 men and produced some 515,000 tonnes of coke each year. It continued to do so until 1986, when the NCB was privatised. The colliery ceased production at this point, but the cokeworks were bought buy CPL Industries and continued producing coke right up until 2002. It would have remained open had it not been for the fact it was extremely outdated, in desperate need of modernisation and no one was willing to invest in new technologies.

The report is split over 2 separate visits, start of April and more recently few days back. First visit was just taken with a basic phone, second was with a newly purchased camera off the back of a failed visit elsewhere. Both times visited with a non member.

Now for the pics

20160401_1439001_zpsjgyh7bgm.jpg

20160401_151312_zps7kk8o7we.jpg

20160401_1442431_zpshj11mipf.jpg

20160401_151436_zpscnhtfvz3.jpg

20160401_151813_zpsslvfwzzh.jpg

DSC00636_zps16pcrm5q.jpg

DSC00622_zpsh2lsbi2i.jpg

DSC00613_zpsa65d09hk.jpg

DSC00642_zpsdwrcalfx.jpg

DSC00394_zps4x5pqzug.jpg

Got to get at least one funnel pic in
DSC00640_zpstglv9zmq.jpg

DSC00551_zpslu1tg0gj.jpg

DSC00457_zpscrzkevlx.jpg

DSC00498_zps5e3oivoz.jpg

DSC00552_zpsiqdfxbm9.jpg

I can't get enough of this place and another visit is definitely on the cards. I could post so many more pictures but didn't want to bore anyone, seeing as it has been done a lot.

More over on Photobucket: http://s53.photobucket.com/user/Wandering-LilLegs/slideshow/Cwm Coke Works - Beddau Wales April 2016

Hope you enjoyed!

Comments and Critiques always welcome.

Lillegs

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
. I could post so many more pictures but didn't want to bore anyone,

Great first report and you certainly wouldnt have bored me with some more pics those are nice quality shots there, it helps that i just love coke works also.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
oops sorry mods posted twice please delete this one and one from above ta.

Lil'Legs

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great first report and you certainly wouldn't have bored me with some more pics those are nice quality shots there, it helps that i just love coke works also.

Thanks! :thumb I was going to post more as really like this place. So much to explore. Need to get to the top building but both times there's been truck just outside the site. A return visit evening time is definitely on the cards.

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Great first report. My only suggestion would be to include a couple more 'wide' shots that give a general overview of certain rooms/areas but that's a matter of personal taste really.

Lil'Legs

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great first report. My only suggestion would be to include a couple more 'wide' shots that give a general overview of certain rooms/areas but that's a matter of personal taste really.
Thanks for the comments. Too be fair thats exactly what i keep thinking to myself and do try but I've never been fully satisfied with most long shots I've taken so far.

cheeseyofbowburn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great first report and you certainly wouldnt have bored me with some more pics those are nice quality shots there, it helps that i just love coke works also.
I also love coke works I can't stay away from south bank coke works

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details