real time web analytics
Report - - Cwmorthan slate mine 0ct19 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cwmorthan slate mine 0ct19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
A selection of pics from a quick explore around Cwmorthin with Sparky and my son.
It's been covered many times and much better in other threads but here's my efforts anyway.

History:
Cwmorthin Quarry is a slate quarry west of the village of Tanygrisiau, north Wales. Quarrying on the site started in 1810. In 1860 it was connected to the Ffestiniog Railway. In 1900 it was acquired by the nearby Oakeley Quarry and the two were connected underground. In 1970 it closed along with Oakeley.

Stunning scenery on the walk up

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Always like seeing these mines. Even the entrance stuns me, all that slate built up and around the entrance, and the layers & colours, I just love it

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks like you had a nice day for it. Lotsa slaty goodness....

Last edited:

tigger

mog
Regular User
Underground slatey goodness!

Numerous visits over the years but I've never photographed the memorial garden area and it seems no-one else does either....one for @urbanchemist with a turbine ;)

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I like the staircase in this mine, its quite an unusual feature for a mine. Other bits look quite dangerous with what must have been false floors rotted away.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
I like the staircase in this mine, its quite an unusual feature for a mine. Other bits look quite dangerous with what must have been false floors rotted away.

I always thought the stair case in maenofferen was pretty cool but this one must be nearly double in steps.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User

There are a fair few slate mines with staircases in. As mentioned there is one in Maenofferen, a few in Cwmorthin, Rhosydd and various ones in Oakeley.
I think this staircase was repaired not long ago, I recall in 2019 when I first went there was steps missing where as now they are all there.

They are (were) bridges rather than false floors used to cross former levels when the slate had been worked out. Some of them were originally built across water when it was allowed to flood but it was later dewatered by oakeley.

Mr Sam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Gotta be one of the best in North Wales but the walk kills me a little more each time! Legs were like jelly when we got back to the car last visit to the area.

Who has read this thread (Total: 175) View details