real time web analytics
Report - - D & H Mallalieu LTD - Bailey Mill - Delph July 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - D & H Mallalieu LTD - Bailey Mill - Delph July 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
INTRO

Bailey Mill is in my back yard (so to speak), and I've been in and out of the buildings since about 2008. Armed with a new body for my camera and not enough time to go else where I thought I'd pay it another visit, as usual I found somewhere I'd not found before :) The majority of the images are from this visit, but have added 3 from previous visits (as I have never posted a report on this site).

A BRIEF HISTORY

Bailey Mill was run by Mallalieu's for a long time, but they went into administration in 1996, and came out of administration when they were bought by Gledhills; another Delph weaving company. However, in doing so, most of the business was transferred to Valley Mill, just up the road. Bailey Mill remained in use until about January 2000.

RECENT HISTORY

Up until recently the mill was in a reasonable state, but due to vandalism, theft and the mill being used (unofficially?) by a shooting club much of the derelict charm has been lost.

Earlier this year the slate roof has been removed, partly by scroats and in the main by the owner who has installed a tempory roof. Unfortunatly the old weaving loom on the second floor has now gone and the upper floors of the mill have been cleared a bit to allow the roofing work.

Bailey Mill (old image)

aa.jpg

Much of what remains in the basement is still as it was, large looms and rolling machines (I spent a few hours in here in 1990 doing repair work to a trench).

c.jpg

Within the basement, first of the old machines

f.jpg

g.jpg

Machinery on the next row

h.jpg

I liked the exposed sides of the machines, showing the cogs and drive belts.

i.jpg

Some more of the cogs and wheels

j.jpg

The 2nd floor

e.jpg

Windows (old image)

bb.jpg

A basket full of drive belts (or similar?)

k.jpg

Bobbins

d.jpg

The office with colour charts and ledgers (possibly the best bit of the mill)

a.jpg

Some more ledgers and colour charts

b.jpg

Unfortunatly this old weaving loom has now gone (old image), there are a few more within the building though!

cc.jpg

I'm happy with my new camera, it gave me an excuse to visit here again and seems to work OK :)

Hope you enjoy the report, I do like this place a lot as there is always something new to see.​

Last edited by a moderator: