real time web analytics
Report - - D & W Henderson, Shipbuilders, Glasgow - December 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - D & W Henderson, Shipbuilders, Glasgow - December 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Explored with Dweeb, Rooks and Raddog.

A great little building stranded in it's own flattened wasteland.

DSC_1537.jpg

I was told the reason these and other shipbuilding offices are so grand is because they were fitted out by the same tradesmen that fitted the ships out. Whether that's true or not I can't prove, however it is rather nice...

DSC_1557.jpg

DSC_1560.jpg

In what was probably once the drawing room, you can see this through the suspended ceiling...

DSC_1551.jpg

and on closer inspection...

DSC_1556.jpg

I'm going to suggest that where the lighter coloured wood panels are, used to be windows to really flood the room with light. These have now been concealed internally and externally. Maybe someone could go up and see if there's any glass behind the wood?

In the loft, there's some really nice, old paperwork, plans of ships etc.

The racks for holding plans and paperwork...

DSC_1542.jpg

DSC_1540.jpg

DSC_1545.jpg

and finally, a shot taken from the location of the demolished shipyard, note the anchors...

DSC_1561.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Drove past last week... they were just finishing crushing the bricks to aggregate :( One of my favorite buildings for many reasons, I am actually quite sad to see what became of it.

nsdev

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sad seeing what's happened there, piece of history gone, and the reason that this site is great, being able to see that before it disappeared. It's almost as sad seeing the suspended ceiling hash job hanging inside that beautiful original roof structure!! Craftsmanship and engineering trumped by cheapness and speed..........it will all go full circle.......