real time web analytics
Report - - 大福綜合醫院/Dafu General Hospital, Taiwan February 2023 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 大福綜合醫院/Dafu General Hospital, Taiwan February 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Solo jaunt

This one was a seriously, seriously lucky find. No exaggeration. Whilst doing my research for other abandoned sites to visit, this one popped up in a Google search. It's an-almost total unknown, and how it has survived for so long in such immaculate condition is a step beyond miraculous. I did the four Yunlin cinemas the same day, so I thought: "Alright, I'll go and have a look at it. I doubt I'll be able to do it, but I'll have a look anyway." So I drove up there, parked outside then walked round, with no idea of what I will see. As I got towards the access point however, I noticed one or two windows were broken, and it was at that point I thought "yeah, this is derelict. Let's get in." And so I did. One giant step into somewhere that has completely flown under the radar of other explorers.

The background goes as follows: in around 2017, local people started asking around on social media about why the hospital was abandoned, and why it has been derelict since 1996. They started sharing wildly exaggerated stories about dead babies and nurses committing suicide, which came to the attention of the media, who ended up interviewing the son of the founder, Chen Mincong, who as of 2017 lived in the Japanese villa directly next door to the hospital. At that time he was already 88 years old, so whether he still lives in the villa next door is unknown to me. It was founded in 1972 by Chen Dafu (hence the name 大福), and after he passed away it was inherited by one of his sons, Chen Minhui, whose career ended when he got ill, meaning the hospital closed in 1996.

52672809449_83fdacfbd2_b.jpg

52672516206_ec90d85591_b.jpg

What makes the hospital so bizarre compared to others is that the first floor (well, 2nd up from the ground floor) was actually designed as a living space for the doctors, with numbered patient rooms behind. For years after closure, the sons of the founder lived there, and allegedly to this day despite it being derelict people do go inside to check that everything is tidy.

Drug storage
52672809799_1735ce27eb_b.jpg

Downstairs, back to back were what I believe to be two maternity theaters.
52672796664_76a4c032a5_b.jpg

52672002837_8128fb278f_b.jpg

52672002392_bd51c6b402_b.jpg

Dusty, unused needles and expired medicine are all left behind in the pharmacy

52673002223_724eab0ba7_b.jpg

Perhaps I was exaggerating when I got all excited and called this a mini-epic, but I was overjoyed (and also terrified) to take a giant leap into the unknown and visit a hospital that nobody had seen the inside of, beyond the foyer. What made this so exceptional is that everything felt so unmodernised, with the wooden doors and odd blue and green paint giving it a true 1970s vibe that I've never seen anywhere else before. Coupled with the vintage signs and lighting, and you've got a one-in-a-million site.

52672795209_1fbf4335ac_b.jpg

52673000938_a1344d2850_b.jpg

52673000548_0d1f45ab56_b.jpg

Whilst I was scared being alone, with doors and windows frequently banging in the wind, and not knowing if anyone would suddenly walk in looking for me, it was a truly magical experience. If you want a definition of a time warp, somewhere completely unchanged with time. you'd struggle to find a better visual definition than this.

The only signs I could find of people coming in here were a couple of broken windows and open doors, as well as teens leaving their Instagram account names in the dust on the windows and a chalkboard at reception.

A near-empty ward
52672793554_75c0739c2f_b.jpg

The nurses station
52672793029_d1ab91bbb0_b.jpg

One of the few beds left in the hospital; this was similar to the beds I saw years and years ago in the psychiatric hospital of Poveglia.
52672498831_532cbe9849_b.jpg

52672792399_37bb13ae4b_b.jpg

There was no power left to the hospital, but the water was still running. With at least two sets of broken taps hissing away, that added to my nerves.

As I continued to explore the hospital in greater detail, it continued to reveal so many stunning secrets.

52671998502_2f65cccd1d_b.jpg

This room was amazing, and I should've captured more shots in hindsight. Inside the cupboard behind me (not pictured) were the doctors' own uniforms, still left hanging. If you also look closely, you can see a dolls head underneath the white duvet.
52671998372_54f7d34e6a_b.jpg

The front
52672791759_3335f8d5c6_b.jpg

I suppose in addition to the aforementioned respect the Taiwanese have for abandonments, one reason this has survived untouched is that it looks so inconspicuous it looks. It is difficult to tell that it's actually derelict, and likewise it tends to blend into an otherwise normal street, so walking past you'd have no idea it was derelict. Nevertheless, finding a site like this is just a stroke of amazing luck. One Google search, adding it to a map to be looked at to see if it's possible, and BOOM! It blows away all of my expectations!

That will be all for now. I will definitely continue exploring, and there are some bigger sites I have planned (Taiwan actually has three derelict universities, and two or three newly-derelict schools which need to be explored), so keep your eyes out for anything with my name on it.

With love as always,

TBM x

Last edited:

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
More good work @True_British_Metal
Remember the lepper hospital I went to in Taipei a few years back being a similar sort of thing.
Thanks. Lesheng is older, and because it was built by the Japanese and has historical significance it has a much higher profile in the exploring scene. Whether it's still there in the same state or not though, I don't know.