Web
Analytics
Report - - Dalmellington, Waterside Ironworks, Dunaskin Brickworks 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dalmellington, Waterside Ironworks, Dunaskin Brickworks 2011



O

Oldskool

Guest
Guest
#1
What was ment to be a fill in visit on our way to inverkip(epic fail) ..

This was really good site with lots to see, a little history and the pics...

Visited with Host ...

Untitled_Panorama2-2.jpg



Dalmellington, Waterside Ironworks, Dunaskin Brickworks

Fine example of an early Victorian stone-built engine house, with date-stone - 1847.

download.jpg


_DSC6645-Copydblayer.jpg



Dunaskin Brickworks, Waterside. In operation c. 1847-1976; complete but out of use. 1 transverse arch kiln (with 14 chambers) and 1 Belgian kiln (with 24 chambers); both continuous.

_DSC6455.jpg


_DSC6469.jpg


_DSC6474.jpg


_DSC6481.jpg


_DSC6487.jpg



Archaeological excavation of a small area of the engine house undercroft (formerly part of the Dalmellington ironworks complex) was undertaken in August and September 1997 as an initial step towards development of the building as part of the visitor attraction at Dunaskin Heritage Centre.
Partial excavation through three access holes in the cement floor of the interior, and investigation of two other holes, revealed that the original floor level directly beneath the cement consisted of removable cast-iron cover plates spanning a network of cast-iron girders set into each other and into masonry blocks. Under this was an undercroft designed to accommodate the expanse of the two beam engines which provided the air blast to the ironworks' furnaces.

_DSC6513.jpg


_DSC6518.jpg


_DSC6527.jpg


_DSC6539.jpg


_DSC6564.jpg


download2.jpg


_DSC6583.jpg


The depth of the undercroft was at least 2.3m below the present cement floor level, and it had been infilled (after the building was no longer used in its original function) with an ashy material and a great deal of common bricks, this fill being divided by mortared brick walls, loosely stacked bricks and areas of poured concrete. Evidence for the layout of one of the beam engines was ascertained by the discovery of its flywheel pit, its possible (air) blast main pipe, and also what may be a piston guide incorporated in the structure of one of the girders of the original floor.

_DSC6588.jpg


Untitled_Panorama3-1.jpg


_DSC6590.jpg


_DSC6593.jpg


_DSC6602.jpg


Untitled-1-1.jpg



Thanks for looking Oldskool.......

_DSC6722.gif


DSC_3162.gif


We will be back.........​
 

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Idle Hands Industrial Sites 15

Similar threads