real time web analytics
Report - - Dalton Mill, Keighley, August 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dalton Mill, Keighley, August 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Since the fire in January here, I knew visiting this place wouldnt have been the same if Id got round to it last year... however, it was still a nice place to wander around in.
Being 'spoilt' by a visit to George Barnsleys previously, anything would have been second best, but the building itself looks fantastic from the outside at least.
Inside was stripped, but the features of the place still remained in all their glory and a visit to the workshop more than made up for the vast amount of "fly tipping" that seems to be going on there at present.

I was curious to know more about the caravan at the back...but no sign of life apart from some horsies when we had a dodge around there.

Dalton Mills was once the largest textile mill in the region, employing over 2000 workers. It was built by Joseph Craven in 1869, replacing the original mill which was owned by Rachel Leach in the 1780's.

The mill was named Dalton Mills after the manager employed by Rachel Leach, a man called Dalton.

In its heyday between 1869 and 1877 the mill provided jobs for workers all over Keighley and the Worth Valley.

As the textile industry declined, the fortunes of Dalton Mills changed and up until 2004, it had been virtually empty for almost a decade.

763157a7.jpg

fad2ca33.jpg
e58bc2f3.jpg

f51e603d.jpg

ff3f73ce.jpg
e646364f.jpg

"Save Hidden Shadow" indeed.... :)
07a3da11.jpg

389802cb.jpg
b56f5274.jpg

1e57343b.jpg

01c5bdb3.jpg

a11c1cba.jpg
338c5fdf.jpg

30d74621.jpg

This staircase was was on my favourite parts of the building... dont know why... just liked it here
e3f455cd.jpg

67aed7c9.jpg

dbe23e0e.jpg

Fire damage.... :(
6f1eff8f.jpg

Cat

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details