real time web analytics
Report - - Dalton Mills..Keighley, June 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dalton Mills..Keighley, June 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Made the visit here on my own whilst heading up to Scotland for the week. I liked the look of this place and the old workshop. Entry was nice and easy and spent a few hours wandering about. The lower film set areas were not of much interest to me, the cells were ok. But the pitch black area what housed all the bright gold set was just garish and looked awful. I did not bother spending the time to light paint it for ages and took one photo. I made my first exploring error in here, trying to nosey at something on the top floor below the attic bit. I went to near a bit of green floor and next thing I am going through it. Luckily my bum landed on a solid bit and joists in the ways. I quickly scrambled up and away listening to all the debris crashing below. A real rookie moment and one that I ain’t going to lie, shook me up for a bit. But i did not let it spoil the explore.
The mill was built in 1869 by Joseph Craven as a replacement for the nearby Strong Close mill. It was the largest textile mill in Yorkshire employing around 2000 people.The mill continued in use till around 2004. Parts of the mill had been converted for other uses. The mill that I had visited had been used as a film set for various TV programmes like the Limehouse Golem, Peaky Blinders and Downton Abbey. It suffered a fire in 2011 and the then in March of this year a huge fire ravaged the building. Over a hundred firefighters attended from 20 stations to bring the fire under control. Five youths were later arrested on suspicion of arson. It was feared that the shell would have to be demolished. But now Historic England were hoping to bring the building back to use with Bradford city council. I am not sure if this is still going ahead.

Starting up top in the attic area.

The building has added safety features for when it was used as a film set, but retains original features too.

Old posters for a film set in a pitch black area.

The lovely workshop.

And finally coming out again.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report such a shame it’s gone now. Not seen any recent images so no idea if the mill behind went up too

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Some nice features there. I like the cells a lot. Also those pillars are pretty ornate.
You were lucky with the fall, I've done the same, not so good of an out come for me :face too nosey for my own good, very rookie mistake & 10 yrs into exploring too lol.
The rusted machines and cladding are cool. I wonder what's left after the big fire in March! Oh nothing going by hosts comment. Posted at same time.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some nice features there. I like the cells a lot. Also those pillars are pretty ornate.
You were lucky with the fall, I've done the same, not so good of an out come for me :face too nosey for my own good, very rookie mistake & 10 yrs into exploring too lol.
The rusted machines and cladding are cool. I wonder what's left after the big fire in March! Oh nothing going by hosts comment. Posted at same time.
Yeah the fall was not great. I think if I had gone through I would not be writing this or I would be in a state. It was a long drop. First time in eight years. Yeah it's just a shell left now, well I presume the shell is still there.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This place was nearly your coffin by the sounds of it!
It's a beautiful place, or was... Gutted I never got to see it. Mind you, probably wouldn't have got in what with my many recent failures ahaha.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This place was nearly your coffin by the sounds of it!
It's a beautiful place, or was... Gutted I never got to see it. Mind you, probably wouldn't have got in what with my many recent failures ahaha.
Thank you mate. I thought that for a few seconds as well. It's pretty gutted now ha.