real time web analytics
Report - - Dalton Pumping Station Cold Hesledon Co Durham November 2018 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dalton Pumping Station Cold Hesledon Co Durham November 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
Recently been looking through my old archived photos and totally forgot about this absolute gem of a place.
Access at the time was extremely easy.
I was extremely lucky to get inside here as now it's near impossible to to do a revisit. Just wish at the time I'd had a camera as my phone at the time wasnt great, so apologies for the lack of quality

History of the Place

Within the village is a large Victorian, Gothic Revival former Water pumping station, designed by Thomas Hawksley for the Sunderland and South Shields Water Company.[1] The engine house contains a pair of 72" single-acting non-rotative Cornish beam engines by Davy Bros of Sheffield, dating from the 1870s when the complex was built. (Pumping engines of this period were more often of a double-acting rotative design (as seen at nearby Ryhope); the use of Cornish engines here seems to be due to the great depth of the well - some 450 feet.) The site suffered for many years from subsidence due to nearby mine workings; this in part led to the engines being decommissioned in the 1940s, and to the demolition in the 1960s of the striking campanile-like top section of the central tower/chimney. (The surviving chimney tower at Bestwood Notts., by the same architect, is of an almost identical design.)
The pumping station site was bought in 1995 with a view by its owners to transform it into a pub; however the building became Grade II* listed, which allegedly stopped its development. Other options are now being explored by the owners.

Thanks for looking.

scrappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I loved this site. You got some good shots mate. looked back at my photos not so long ago and they wasnt great, wouldnt have minded another visit.

MarkusCP87

28DL Full Member
I loved this site. You got some good shots mate. looked back at my photos not so long ago and they wasnt great, wouldnt have minded another visit.
I went to do a revisit last year and security were shit hot, place was left for a while but looks like it's well secured now.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Keep meaning to have a look at this place i hear security are hit and miss. Good to see it mate

Abbie Urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Recently been looking through my old archived photos and totally forgot about this absolute gem of a place.
Access at the time was extremely easy.
I was extremely lucky to get inside here as now it's near impossible to to do a revisit. Just wish at the time I'd had a camera as my phone at the time wasnt great, so apologies for the lack of quality

History of the Place

Within the village is a large Victorian, Gothic Revival former Water pumping station, designed by Thomas Hawksley for the Sunderland and South Shields Water Company.[1] The engine house contains a pair of 72" single-acting non-rotative Cornish beam engines by Davy Bros of Sheffield, dating from the 1870s when the complex was built. (Pumping engines of this period were more often of a double-acting rotative design (as seen at nearby Ryhope); the use of Cornish engines here seems to be due to the great depth of the well - some 450 feet.) The site suffered for many years from subsidence due to nearby mine workings; this in part led to the engines being decommissioned in the 1940s, and to the demolition in the 1960s of the striking campanile-like top section of the central tower/chimney. (The surviving chimney tower at Bestwood Notts., by the same architect, is of an almost identical design.)
The pumping station site was bought in 1995 with a view by its owners to transform it into a pub; however the building became Grade II* listed, which allegedly stopped its development. Other options are now being explored by the owners.

Thanks for looking.
I explored this place a few of years back. I rang the owner and he said that I could have an hour to myself and left me to it. You could have done the same

Dean Cummings

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This building was sold last year and workmen are currently working on the building converting into a wedding venue now has onsite security ect although if you phone them they might let you look around or wait till this summer when they open they taking wedding booking now just depending on the lockdown ect

Attachments

• 6FF2E8DE-CB24-4D7A-A571-873327E9B9B5.png
    6FF2E8DE-CB24-4D7A-A571-873327E9B9B5.png
    588.7 KB · Views: 18

MarkusCP87

28DL Full Member
This building was sold last year and workmen are currently working on the building converting into a wedding venue now has onsite security ect although if you phone them they might let you look around or wait till this summer when they open they taking wedding booking now just depending on the lockdown ect
I follow the page o
Fantastic :)
Thank you Jane, one of my first and still one of my favourites

Who has read this thread (Total: 291) View details