real time web analytics
Report - - Dannah House Care Home, Wroughton, Wiltshire - March 2016 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dannah House Care Home, Wroughton, Wiltshire - March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
With thanks to klempner69 for making me aware of this site

A small elderly persons care home in North Wiltshire that was forced to close in 2007 for providing such a crap service (so bad in fact that the manager was arrested).

HISTORY

Dannah House was a private residential care home offering accommodation for up to 24 residents over the age of 65. The house consisted of one double and 22 single rooms, 6 of which had en-suite facilities.

The home was inspected in November 2006 by the Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI), with many areas scoring the lowest possible rating of “poor”. All other areas were rated the second lowest level of “adequate”. Failings included low levels of staffing, asbestos in the bedrooms, and lack of privacy for the residents. Inspectors subsequently set statutory requirements and deadlines for change. However the required improvements never came, allegedly because of lack of funds. A junior worker confessed that “there was hardly a budget to make sure residents were fed”. The centre was closed in June 2007 by court order.

A whistle-blower, speaking in 2012, said that the owner was out to make a profit, even if it meant providing below-standard levels of care. “None of the homes were interested in caring for people or paying for training and the pay barely met the minimum wage.”

Good to see a regulator with some bite, but of course this must had been one hell of a traumatic experience for the residents.

One seriously overgrown garden - I could barely find the house
02_zpsqw9y6sab.jpg

First the open-plan communal area
03_zpshb0hpqlb.jpg

05_zps6clddbig.jpg

Complete with one damp organ
06_zpshjoyn22x.jpg

Moving to the bedrooms, each room still had a photo and the name of the resident
12_zpsr77gipid.jpg

I recently stayed in a hotel room in Tunisia that looked like a bit like this...
17_zpsuzungpvb.jpg

18_zps1tdlaixk.jpg

14_zpsxlsigd5o.jpg

27_zpslownlkqb.jpg

20_zpspv3rfb5m.jpg

Hmm now we back to that Tunisian hotel
21_zpsqwq8dyr1.jpg

Some idiot in a mirror
16_zps1rgtao1c.jpg

Personal possessions left behind
24_zpsisuazeqt.jpg

and they've left their coats behind
30_zpsywynv8wt.jpg

Nature reclaiming the walls
29_zpswowtqr9z.jpg

Unfortunately this didn't work. Given that wifey has lately been stumbling up the stairs a lot and slurring her speech, particularly late on Friday evenings, I'm thinking of installing a stair-lift myself.
35_zps3er7etko.jpg

Finally, I'm a bit of an art-lover and there was a lot of priceless art in here. So let me introduce you to the artistic gems of Wroughton...

43_zpsyntyx6tf.jpg

41_zpswe3isqea.jpg

42_zpsi0bvslzd.jpg

My expert knowledge of art tells me that this is the famous "Man in a dress stealing a sheep" by artist unknown
46_zpsoliesvfu.jpg

This is cross-stitch and must had taken ages to do. I think it is showing Fountains Abbey at Ripon, Yorkshire.
39_zpskh8eodwl.jpg

And for the grand climax... The Hay Wain by John Constable (1821), regarded as one of Britain's finest paintings. I always thought it was held at the National Gallery, so I was really surprised to find it in a derp - it's worth millions.
44_zpsz2ukir5a.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Grottie1

28DL Member
28DL Member
That looks great, this is all new to me and I really want to get exploring. I'm in Swindon, have you been to the hotel in Wroughton that is shut down?

klempner69

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Glad you got to see Dannah...@ Grottie..the hotel in Wroughton has a group of travellers parked up there at the moment.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
That looks great, this is all new to me and I really want to get exploring. I'm in Swindon, have you been to the hotel in Wroughton that is shut down?

If you're meaning the Ivy Hotel in Wroughton - yes there's a traveler invasion there and that's a very recent development. Also be aware that last June a group of kids were seen in there carting away kitchen equipment. Despite carrying a huge industrial size dishwasher they escaped from Wiltshire Constabulary. Police have said that they have been watching the place carefully since.