real time web analytics
Dark Arches, Leeds October 2016 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Dark Arches, Leeds October 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Dark Arches​

Below is an extract from Wildboyz’ thread from three years ago outlining some of the sites interesting history. Jeez, them lads knew how to take a photo, I was certainly inspired.

Construction of the Victorian Dark Arches began much later in 1866, when most of the small railway groups were merging into larger companies. By this time, Leeds prospered as a result of the woollen industry and the wider industrial revolution occurring across England at the time. In response to this a new station in Leeds city centre was required, so more passengers and goods would be able to move through the city. After the completion of the arches, which used over 18 million bricks, the station was built above, on the surface level. However, despite the completion of something that was indeed awe-inspiring, especially since nothing on this scale had ever been accomplished in this area before, the Chief constable of Leeds at the time, writing in 1892, filed a report requesting an urgent expansion of the police force because the Dark Arches attracted many sorts of idlers, criminals and loose women. Since the arches were constructed with walkways and passages, and a number of small businesses and workshops, not just the waterway, people were able to walk freely beneath the city of Leeds. It was well-known though that people should avoid these areas if they did not want to be beaten or robbed.

This place is amongst my favourite for trying to take nice photos. It combines nature (the River Aire), heavy civils (Leeds Train Station) and therefore lots and lots of brick arches going all directions, what’s not to like!​

Access wasn’t where I initially thought it’d be and required a quick hope for the best moment, both in terms of safety and security, something I don’t much like doing but had learnt comes hand in hand with exploring​

The river bed is also very slippery – you have been warned. Anything much above shin depth and you’ll be on your arse.​

Once down and in you’re well hidden away and have the place to yourself for as long as you like, well I did, anyway and I needed it! Anyone who’s been in underground reservoirs will know it’s tricky getting the angle right in somewhere with multiple repetitive symmetries. You obviously want to see through as many gaps in the arches as possible and in all directions, while still framing the foreground properly. Obviously its dark but it’s not too long so you get plenty of light and shadows to play with as well. I wanna go back! These aren’t bad, though, and will have to do for now. I think I must’ve realised halfway through taking them that they might turn out alright so I checked that shooting in raw was turned on and it wasn’t – luckily I didn’t get too far in…..​

The infall

42562040450_400c4f7f41_b.jpg

43653311474_3f4be590ff_b.jpg

Looking downstream​

29433870557_ccb93d986a_b.jpg

Looking upstream​

30502762698_f10b490e8f_b.jpg

Looking across stream​

43653304284_b62f127478_b.jpg

Fuckabout​

43653317514_cff22992ca_b.jpg

29433883197_327d1d528c_b.jpg

42562050650_29e9510e74_b.jpg

30502760588_9430a93862_b.jpg

A fearsome looking gate preventing public access, taken from the public side; the normal river level a good 15ft below the top of them rags​

44321449672_68042205d3_b.jpg

More public stuff. Them arches though​

42562026080_5c54802448_b.jpg

Reinforcements. Remember Leeds Station is above and it’s the biggest and busiest outside of London, another reason not to be seen getting in or out.​

30502739848_a217192e40_b.jpg

Mind how you go…..​

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report, never heard of this place before and you’re right about those arches. Don’t make things like they used to!

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Nice photos!
This place has always intrigued me since I first saw a report on it.
If I ever get back to Leeds, this and one other place would be on my list to see first hand :)

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Great report, never heard of this place before and you’re right about those arches. Don’t make things like they used to!
Thanks there's plenty of reports on here but none recently. That's partly why I'm sticking up a load of my old stuff - to remind newbies and the you tube lot that not all nice photo's need to include ones self dangling from a bloody crane. I wanna see more drain reports! Every city in the UK that i can think of was built around or next to a substantial river or beach and that's where the history is. If it was worth building it would've had to be built to last so remnants at least still remain - even more so in longer culverts

Thanks @TheVicar I'd gladly return. We'll bring them studded wadorz along ;)

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Beautiful pics those shows off the great victorian architecture very well.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice one! Never actually mustered up the courage to tackle that gate when I worked in Leeds, coupled with the fact that it seemed to rain every day for a whole year I was there too!

Trevstar123

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice one! Never actually mustered up the courage to tackle that gate when I worked in Leeds, coupled with the fact that it seemed to rain every day for a whole year I was there too!
Everytime i walk over that Bridge the River Looks vicious! There's also the Gate at the Station Car Park end, that's equally as hairy and much more open

Who has read this thread (Total: 245) View details