real time web analytics
Report - - Darlaston Inn & Wacky Warehouse, Stone - September 2020 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Darlaston Inn & Wacky Warehouse, Stone - September 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
September 2020

The Visit
I initially became aware that this pub had closed about 12 months ago, I happened to be driving past and noticed it was boarded up. Naturally my curiosity took hold and I stopped for a look unfortunately I wasn't able to find a way in at the time so I made a mental note and eventually forgot all about it. That is until a friend of mine sent me a link to a generic 'abandoned explores' Facebook page with a post titled 'Abandoned Wacky Warehouse' I took one look at the first photo and named the pub instantly. From the photos the pub looked pretty trashed and nothing special, but with this one only being a 30 minute drive from home I decided to go and take a look for myself. The pub itself is nothing special but I do remember visiting the car park in my days as a Cadet, the lower section of the car park was an ideal place to launch a Canoe on to the River Trent. I remember 10 year old me being astonished at the time that hat there was a pub in the centre of a roundabout so the site as insignificant as it was was still a memory. I arrived at the pub and went for it, I spent about an hour wondering around the three floors which make up the building and having a go on the slide in the Wacky Warehouse.

11083612_362369393957697_1309759272488074246_n.jpg

[0] -facebook.com​

History
There is a very limited information surrounding the history of this building, the main building seems to have been constructed in the 1800's as a coaching inn, it looks to have passed through many owners over the years including Punch Taverns who operated the pub under their '2 for 1' brand. In 2011 Punch Taverns demerge their 'managed pubs' business and form the Spirit Pub Company and with it the Darlaston Inn as well. The pub was rebranded under the Fayre & Square name, in Summer 2015 it was announced that Greene King were to acquire the Spirit Pub Company and with it, the Darlaston Inn. The pub continued to operate under the Fayre & Square brand until it was announced on 26 February 2018 that the pub and Wacky Warehouse would closed only a few days later. A planning application was submitted shortly after to construct a Petrol Station and KFC on the site completely demolishing the existing buildings, the application has since been refused and the future of the building remains unknown. Looking through online reviews the pub did not appear to have a great reputation in the run up to closure and with Greene King retiring the Fayre & Square branding it seems like an ideal opportunity to close the site.

IMG_0214.jpeg

[1]

IMG_0265.jpeg

[2]

IMG_0295.jpeg

[3]

IMG_0257.jpeg

[4]

IMG_0337.jpeg

[5]

IMG_0343.jpeg

[6]

[7]

IMG_0354.jpeg

[8]

IMG_0358.jpeg

[9]

IMG_0363.jpeg

[10]

IMG_0234.jpeg

[11]

IMG_0400.jpeg

[12]

IMG_0389.jpeg

[13]
Cheers for looking :thumb
Canon EOS 70D, 10-18mm EFS.​

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 45

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
I was, haha
Don't blame you, there was a play centre Abandoned near me, went to have a look the other week and all stripped and getting done out, was gutted, so I may have to travel to this one...eventually haha

Who has read this thread (Total: 345) View details