real time web analytics
Report - - Debenhams AKA ‘Griffin & Spalding’, Nottingham - Summer 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Debenhams AKA ‘Griffin & Spalding’, Nottingham - Summer 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Debenhams AKA ‘Griffin & Spalding’, Nottingham - Summer 2023

DB (19).jpg

Nottingham’s Debenhams began life as a large range of shop fronts dating from the 1860s to the mid 20th century, which have slowly been amalgamated into one giant department store along Long Row and Market Street in the City Centre. The store as it appears today was the result of a pair of substantial rebuilds which took place between around 1912 and 1924 when it was under the ownership of retailers Griffin & Spalding. In 1944 Griffin & Spalding was sold to Debenhams although the store wasn’t actually branded as such until 1973 when Debenhams embarked on a national rebranding scheme. By 1978 it was one of the largest department stores in England with a total of 37 trading floors over almost 200,000 square feet.

The store eventually closed in May 2021 when Debenhams entered administration and has recently been given a Grade II listing.

Visited over the summer with @Mr Budge and @Gsxrwayne - thanks for the company boys.

DB (4).jpg

DB (20).jpg

DB (17).jpg

DB (5).jpg

DB (21).jpg

DB (16).jpg

DB (14).jpg

DB (1).jpg

DB (9).jpg

DB (10).jpg

DB (2).jpg

DB (6).jpg

DB (7).jpg

DB (8).jpg

DB (12).jpg

DB (18).jpg

DB (3).jpg

DB (22).jpg

Nothing epic was found during our visits unfortunately, but again probs a bit too interesting to throw to the dogs straight away??​

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Cracker! Oxford looks nice, too.

It's a really nice building but it has been horribly modernised on the inside sadly, at least from what I remember when it was open. Not to say there won't be some cool stuff hidden away inside in the back of house areas - I've never managed to spot a way in yet.

The boards there with the old staff writing on them reminds me again of the time I was helping clear out areas of the Boswells department store in Oxford when they were closing down, we found an old wooden goods lift door which had staff writing and sketches on it dating back to the 1940s!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nothing not to like here. Modern but so interesting. All those mannequins could be creepy in the dark lol. Agree the safe is the bad boy here. Like everything here