real time web analytics
Decent Wide Lens | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Decent Wide Lens

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dudman

I'm not lost until I give up finding my way...
28DL Full Member
I've recently bought a Canon A450 and raring to do my second spore! Only problem is I'm yet to get a wide shot lens.

When I bought the camera I also got a 18-55mm, 18-70mm and a 50-200mm lens... Stupidly I bought two of pretty much the same lens ( more money than sense at the time ).

I need a lens, preferably a sigma, that's 10-20mm but unsure of where is cheap to get one.

Can anyone suggest a site for me please? I'm also in need of a tripod but currently looking at this, anyone got one and could back up the numerous good reviews? Or could suggest one better for the same price?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...-tripod-10010280-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Second the Tokina, just better full stop. And yes, I've owned both. For a tripod, look on eBay for a Manfrotto 718SHB or 718B. Totally bombproof and totally suitable for exploring.

Dudman

I'm not lost until I give up finding my way...
28DL Full Member
Second the Tokina, just better full stop. And yes, I've owned both. For a tripod, look on eBay for a Manfrotto 718SHB or 718B. Totally bombproof and totally suitable for exploring.
Heard good things about the lens BUT a few simple downfalls such as...

The AF/MF is a bit un needed in the way it's designed, a simple flick switch would of been simpler, it's also a bit unstable.
It's overall feel is cheap and can be loose, especially on the AF/MF
And let's be honest, it's not the best looking lens going.

BUT saying all that, I've heard many many good things and hearing it from yet, another person who owns the lens is slightly edging me onto it... Only reason I say Sigma is because my other lenses are Sigmas and I feel it's always best to have uniformed equipment ( slight OCD ).

Cheers though, will no doubt take me a while to finally decide!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
There is no switch to flick on the Sigma either, as I have one of those also

As for being unstable, maybe the older version but certainly had no issues wit the dx2

Who reviewed it, Captain Hook :D

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I used the Tamron 10-22 for many a year and was pleased with the results, bomb proof lens and still sorts of work after it's last major bang,

I upgraded after a fair bit of research to the Canon 10-22mm, again a great lens, reasonable price and more than happy with the results :thumb

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I've got the Mk1. It's NEVER been off the camera in 7 years. It looks and feels solid to this day, not even marked despite being abused. And about the autofocus, just set it to manual and leave it. I mean, infinity is only a metre away, what exactly will you be autofocusing on?

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Ive used the original F4 Sigma before but i found the Tamron to be both cheaper and better (sharper). Another reason i switched was the focus clutch fucking up on every 10-20 sigma ive ever encountered!!

That said ive just bought the new f3.5 10-20 sigma to give that a whirl and see if its any better. £260 from simplyelectronics.. Just ask google wheres cheapest. I guarantee it will find you a much cheaper price than list.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
The tokina is next on the list to try.. f2.8 is useful even if it isnt quite as wide

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
The Tokina is the best option on the market by a long way. It's exponentially better optically and mechanically than the sigma and I've also owned both. I'm amazed you think it looks cheap.
I've only used these two, but the reviews all say basically the same.

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
Another vote for the Tokina, It's my standard exploring lens and doesn't feel cheap (its heavier than my other lenses), AF is almost impossible to accidentally turn off as it takes quite a force to pull the tip of the lens towards you, AF is quick, its a fast lens (f2.8 vs f4 on the Sigma), its MUCH sharper and has less barrel distortion than the 10-20mm f4 Sigma I replaced (the Sigma AF is very slow too)

Last edited:

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I use the Tokina aswell. Picked it up after asking pretty much the same question as yourself on here a while back and it's an outstanding lens.

It's built like a tank and I actually prefer the AF/MF switch on it as I find it much easier than trying to find a tiny switch in the dark. Personal preference though I suppose. As already mentioned though, far easier just to set it to infinity and leave it alone!

Can't rate it highly enough and never heard a bad word from anyone else who's used it.

PopPunkJamie

Irregular User
28DL Full Member
Another vote for the Tokina, never owned one but have used it several times and it always impresses, mainly because f2.8.

Only criticism is that the zoom ring on the examples I've tried is opposite to the vast majority of lenses, not a huge inconvenience when on a tripod but it's fucked me off when using it for gigs etc as takes some getting used to

Last edited:

ClmntGbrl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I too have the Tokina, a bit pricey but i don't regret it. It doesn't quite like long exposures at f8 or less open (like a 30 seconds exposure at f8 will make a really soft image),
but it's as with any equipment, you know it and you find a workaround.

For the tripod, i just replaced my basic one with a Velbon UT-43D II and so far i'm impressed, it goes higher than my previous tripod, is really sturdy (i tested and can even mount a light video fluid head on it) and goes folded without even removing the camera straight to my backpack...I found a special discount on a french site which made the price even more reasonable (i have the kit with the ball head which is nice too).
Check it out :

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details