real time web analytics
Report - - Decontamination Block, RAF Harlaxton, Lincs, February 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Decontamination Block, RAF Harlaxton, Lincs, February 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
1. The History
Not too much info on these substantial remains of a WW2 decontamination hospital (with water tower above) which also includes a stand-by set house and blast trenches. Decontamination hospitals were constructed during the Second World War, for both military and civil use, in anticipation of chemical or gas attacks. The stand-by set house housed the stand-by generator, set in a tall 4.5m room with flat roof.

The site is situated behind Harlaxton manors in its grounds. The site was part of RAF Harlaxton, a satellite base to RAF Grantham which from the late 1940s to 1991 also served as a Royal Observer Corps post. The airfield itself opened in November 1916 as a Royal Flying Corps (RFC) training aerodrome with three grassed runways laid out. RAF Harlaxton closed in 1957 and the decontamination block now lies derelict and forgotten, although it appears to have been recently discovered by Grantham’s graffiti massive.

2. The Explore
This place is a complete walk-on and over the years I’ve been many times, including as a youngster, biking around the Grantham area. Not done a report on the place since 2015 so with a half hour to kill, thought it was time for an update. One recent development is a lot more graff in the stand-by set house. More significantly, the stand-by set house has now been secured with a combination lock door. Weird given there is zip in there. They’ve also put a combination lock door on one part of the main building. They’ve tried to secure the main part but the local yoofs have made easy work of the corrugated sheet metaling.

The reason behind all this is possibly down to the fact Planit-X has gained approval for the conversion of both the Decontamination Hospital and Stand-By Set House into two dwellings. Initial site plans were drawn up back in January 2018 and then followed by detailed plans of the proposed conversion in March 2019. However, a year down the line, work is still yet to commence. Full details of all the architect’s plans and proposals HERE

3. The Pictures

The main block:

49581759312_40f0ef3df9_b.jpg

49581735532_4a9b3fdc5e_b.jpg

49581004353_6e0f3f61a4_b.jpg

Parts of which are starting to crumble:

49581503286_45129c57ea_b.jpg

There’s some pretty run-of-the-mill graff here:

49581502856_7fb92d38aa_b.jpg

I guess this would have been the front entrance:

49581534106_1f9ff7a0c2_b.jpg

A glimpse of Harlaxton Manor, now used by the American University of Evansville:

49581034618_ecf10202a3_b.jpg

On to the Stand-by Set house:

49581525951_6417271c07_b.jpg

49581756802_a37ab6c907_b.jpg

49581523591_8078fe94ca_b.jpg

Peeking inside:

49581001013_79bc5aa748_b.jpg

And round the back:

49581730272_79a066f6bb_b.jpg

49580999823_bca79290d0_b.jpg

Finally, one of the blast trenches:

49581033593_33b7c8766e_b.jpg

..and another:

49581529981_f2824e414b_b.jpg

Last edited:

tigger

mog
Regular User
Interesting, that "manor" u show is that just a folly in the gardens of some sort?

Posh folks* would call it a 'loggia' rather than a 'folly'. The difference is largely semantics in that a 'folly' is normally designed to look like something which it really isn't eg. a lighthouse or windmill.

* my mum ;) I'd just call it a 'garden feature' (or waste of money?)

Plans link doesn't work for me but documents are available on South Kesteven DC website under application s19/0745

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Posh folks* would call it a 'loggia' rather than a 'folly'. The difference is largely semantics in that a 'folly' is normally designed to look like something which it really isn't eg. a lighthouse or windmill.

* my mum ;) I'd just call it a 'garden feature' (or waste of money?)

Plans link doesn't work for me but documents are available on South Kesteven DC website under application s19/0745

Looks quite a nice garden shed to me ;-)

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Chilled wander, nice update. I like a good folly, the older the better. Isnt the word loggia used more aboard? :thumb I like to see landscape where things once stood. I do like time team.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Chilled wander, nice update. I like a good folly, the older the better. Isnt the word loggia used more aboard? :thumb I like to see landscape where things once stood. I do like time team.

Cheers CJ. Shame there isn't a few more follys dotted around the UK that are explorable. Got a really good book on them and it's yielded very few new ones to epxlore sadly...

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Very nice report their, bet you have seen many changes on the condition since you was a teenager their on your bike back then

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Very nice report their, bet you have seen many changes on the condition since you was a teenager their on your bike back then

Actually thinking back it isn't a extreme as another place near by. Remember continuing on to RAF Saltby. Used to go on the roof of an number of buildings there (as you do as a kid) and they have all been flattened now.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
We have the same here in all the local railway stations that are closed all gone now and the brickworks only footings left and piles of rubble

Who has read this thread (Total: 307) View details