real time web analytics
Report - - Defence Medical Equipment Depot, Ludgershall, December '14 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Defence Medical Equipment Depot, Ludgershall, December '14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Whisky118

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did some research and decided to visit the Defence Medical Equipment Depot in Ludgershall this morning. I arrived at the site around 0800 and started looking around. As a result of the frost and ice it gave off an eerie feel, but managed to get some good photo's. Whilst I was mooching around I stumbled upon a scavenger searching for scrap metal, which was a bit of a surprise. After talking to him, he revealed that he has been going there everyday to get scrap, he also stated that all of the dangerous chemicals and medical supplies were buried around the site (Bit creepy)
This place is worth checking out, if anyone is interested drop me a message as it would be good to visit again with someone
IMG_1561_zpsc9f667d9.jpg

IMG_1560_zpsee3bba38.jpg

IMG_1562_zpsd7bc3d56.jpg

IMG_1564_zpsb78163eb.jpg

IMG_1567_zpsdee2baaa.jpg

IMG_1569_zps611aa0c7.jpg

IMG_1570_zps5c51b261.jpg

IMG_1572_zps8a673386.jpg

IMG_1582_zpse9bfccb6.jpg

IMG_1584_zps1086ec28.jpg

IMG_1585_zpsef1577df.jpg

IMG_1586_zps43f65249.jpg

IMG_1592_zps76e4a63f.jpg

Cheers for looking
-Whisky118
If it clouds your judgement, clear your mind of it; If it fuels your anger, use it

BillAnd

Badass dare devil gangsta
28DL Full Member
nice report

I spent 20+ years in the Medical Services, and its a bit upsetting to see a place that you once know or visited in such decay now
Most Urbexers only see the dead side of a site, whereas some of us saw them when they had life

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Started exploring here 4 years ago when it still had dog patrols and was intact.

Agree with you BillAnd, I worked out of here (and over the road) a few times with the RCT doing various things, was surprised to even see it derelict to be honest.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Changes in the defence estates over recent years has led to a number of MoD properties becoming surplus to requirements and hence they are being sold off, The former MSA site (known as Drumand Barracks) was sold off by the MoD in 2006 and bought by Scarborough Development Group. The Defence Medical Depot is now housed within DSDA Donnington.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
he also stated that all of the dangerous chemicals and medical supplies were buried around the site (Bit creepy)

Not sure I agree with this, as since at least 1974 and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations, all Drugs & Dangerous Chemicals have been returned to original suppliers for disposal or re-manufacturing.

Whisky118

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks WildBoyz it was the first shot and I thought it captured the solace of the site.

Not sure I agree with this, as since at least 1974 and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations, all Drugs & Dangerous Chemicals have been returned to original suppliers for disposal or re-manufacturing.
You are probably right Ordnance I mean it was a scavenger that told me so I would take it with a pinch of salt :)

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Oh don't get me wrong the Military of old were not adverse to burying its rubbish some sites such as Bramley in Hampshire( an Ammo depot that closed in the early 80's)still has contaminated areas and what was the depot is now used by the MoD as a training area, the fact that C Sqn, 21 SAS (Artists) UKSF(Reserves) are based at Bramely camp is because most of the former depot will probably never be released for sale due to the contamination both explosive & chemical.

That the Ludgershall site has been sold tells me its fairly clean!

Vengence

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cool pics. Looks like a good place to visit in some nice golden hour light. Happy to take a trip there if interested,as its not too far a trip.

Whisky118

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes it is easy to get to. I might be heading up there today if anyone is interested.

DemonRaven

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This isn't too far from me either. Would like to take a look and get some photo's if anyone else is interested? Let me know.

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member
Nice one, at least the 'scavenger' was a friendly one. Will give you a shout in the new year If you're still up for a revisit