real time web analytics
Report - - Denbigh Hospital, North Wales 2008 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Denbigh Hospital, North Wales 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Hmmmm. Denbigh.

What do you say? It's a funny old place. Back in 2006 it was trashed. When I want in 2008 it was trashed further, now 12 years later it is somehow still standing, yet trashed. It has seen open season for explorers, haunted live, fires, crazy security guards and their dogs, fights between the council and developers with royals getting involved, and somehow it still sits derelict. Whilst it may not be the forums favourite, as it hasn't ever really contained much of interest, it is an inherently beautiful Victorian Gothic structure and do sincerely hope that the Denbigh Council do manage to restore it so some sort of glory. The front facade is a thing of beauty.

Denbigh-Postcard.jpg

DSC_6854.jpg

I visited back in 2008 with @kingrat and others (Lutex and Wraith I think) after we had spent a messy Friday evening in KingRat's local boozer down near MK drinking Strongbow slushies. The 5am start, long drive and massive hangover clouded my day considerably. I'll be entirely honest, I only vaguely remember the explore. We spent a long time trying to find a way up the tower, where I first discovered the arse clenching feeling of a rotten floor giving way. We bumped into many explorers on the day, too many to name here, messed about in the hall and discovered the joys of finding toilet roll in a derp. All I really remember of the buildings is that there largely stripped of anything after a failed development attempt and generally beaten down. Photographically, it wasn't very photogenic as I was too hungover to take a decent photo!

Still the hall was still there and the admin had floors so it wasn't all bad!

DSC_6743.jpg

A view from the tower (taken by @kingrat after I handed him my camera, and then promptly found the weakest floorboards)

DSC_6770.jpg

DSC_6773.jpg

The main hall, a few weeks before it burnt to the ground

DSC_6691.jpg

An old archive shot of the hall with the most incredible ceiling:

0149.jpg

DSC_6692.jpg

A few corridor / services / ward shots:

DSC_6694.jpg

DSC_6700.jpg

DSC_6725.jpg

DSC_6798.jpg

DSC_6746.jpg

DSC_6828.jpg

The small chapel

DSC_6813.jpg

DSC_6823.jpg

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Was thinking about Denbigh today as it's nine years ago to the day I went here with a large group of miscreants off here including bigjobs, Xan and others and we had a somewhat infamous encounter with Beardy!

It's such a shame they put that false ceiling up in the hall but given it's location and how cold it must have got in winters, I'm not surprised.

We got up the tower too that day, and I happened to take a shot from basically the same angle as you did - as you will know there was somewhat limited angles of photos you could get up there! Notice how much worse the sagging had got in that roof at the front of the photo too.

5675365138_1377149793_b.jpg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
The Denbigh we see here is a beautiful Victorian Gothic building with features galore. Stunning ceilings, curved arches in hallways. Dips and pitches. Outstanding design. Stunning place. So sad that today Denbigh is Denbigh, the free for all. The starter pack for some! We no longer see the beauty it does still have if you look hard enough.

Stunning set, great report :thumb

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice to see it in fairly decent condition, I've only ever seen it first hand as an absolute wreck of a place!

Cheers for digging out OT's report too, that ceiling was something else.

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
You're right even then it was trashed. Still, don't get to see many photos surfacing of it in that condition - that hall ceiling though! Even just seeing photos of the hall - aren't all that many who got to see it.

Always wanted to conjure up a plan to remove that false ceiling in the hall, and then it was all gone :(

I like it - that plan is very tumbles :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 158) View details