real time web analytics
Report - - Denbigh North Wales Lunatic Asylum Sept 09 (pt 1) | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Denbigh North Wales Lunatic Asylum Sept 09 (pt 1)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
My first post, so gentle and constructive criticism please;)

I won't go into the history as it's been done many times before, the only (possibly) new snipped I found was that Enoch Powell visited Denbigh in the 60's, and what he saw here encouraged him to introduce reforms that would eventually lead to the Care In The Community (and other acts) that would see nearly all the "great" UK asylums closed by the early-mid 90's in favour of different forms of treatment. I know everyone knows the conclusion to that story already, but maybe not everyone was aware of the origin.

I'm just hoping that what I'm adding to what others have done before are some new and/or different photos, no major revelations.

A beautiful weekend's weather and set in a beautiful location, as well as being a truly beautiful building (the prettiest of the UK asylums? - probably a contentious and subjective opinion so feel free to rant away about Cane Hill or whatever), not overly spoiled by more modern additions. Shame the grand hall is gone.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the copious bats flying around in here like some Hammer Horror film before though? I think it was the time of day we were there - they were warming up ready to go out and rid the locals of their bugs and beetles. Certainly surprised me a couple of times...! Was going to take a pic of one but realised it would probably not be good for them, so avoided this and would advise others to do their best to bear this in mind and not disturb them too, especially if you're there in the day or using flash/torches - they are endangered after all!:)

The surrounding village.
UKSeptUrbex_0210.jpg

Approach to the glorious facade!
UKSeptUrbex_0431_3_tonemapped.jpg

A closer look.
UKSeptUrbex_0425_7_tonemapped.jpg

And now I'm just going to shut up and let the pictures tell the story...

UKSeptUrbex_0414_5_tonemapped.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0419_21_tonemapped.jpg

Untitled_Panorama1b.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0256_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0245.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0261.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0262.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0264.jpg

Untitled_Panorama4.jpg

Canteen
UKSeptUrbex_0274_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0280_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0283.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0286.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0289.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0290_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0294.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0313.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0296_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0299_300_301_tonemapped.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0303.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0310_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0314_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0317_8_tonemapped.jpg

UKSeptUrbex_0320_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

Ok, so rather than go too crazy (I know mega-long posts aren't always appreciated) I'm going to make this a two-parter, and will post the rest if approved and anyone wants to see the rest!:popcorn