real time web analytics
Report - - Derby Royal Infirmary, Derby - May 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Derby Royal Infirmary, Derby - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Today was my second explore, and I was accompanied by hamtagger It was however cut short by some of the lovely locals who were drinking at 11am and swinging a bat around. Most likely trying to strip what little copper is left in the building. (We didn't fancy having to go all Jackie Chan on them or risk getting our arses kicked and losing our cameras) So unfortunately we left a lot earlier than expected.

Here's a bit of History on the place.​
Derbyshire Royal Infirmary (DRI) was established in 1810 on land formerly part of Derby's Castlefield estate on land near what is now Bradshaw Way and the A6 London Road. It was known as the Derbyshire General Infirmary at the time. In 1890 a Typhoid outbreak sweeped through the hospital, and the buildings design was blamed. The hospital is entirely demolished, a year later Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone of what would become Derbyshire Royal Infirmary. The neo-Jacobean building was completed in 1894, and its main features were its 'Onion' shaped domed towers and its central corridor which ran the length of the hospital.
The hospital was expanded at several points in the 20th century, the most visible being the still used Wilderslowe Tower and the now disused A+E building built in 1970. The DRI as a result is an architectural mish-mash with the original hospital at its heart.
Buildings aside, the DRI was a pioneering hospital, the UK's first Flying Squad was set up here in 1955, in 1976 George Cohrane set up the first National Demonstration Centre for Rehabilitation and in 1992 the Pulvertaft Hand Centre was opened by the Queen, her grandson William was sent here seven years later following a rugby injury.
In the late 90s, the NHS Trust's for each hospital in Derby merged, and drew up a dramatic plan to consolidate the services of both hospital's on one site. The so called 'super hospital', soon to be known as the Derby Royal Hospital is one of the largest in the region. There are no official plans to redevelop the now redundant Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, the land is covered by a large regeneration plan which will expand Derby's city centre southwards into what is known as Castleward. The 1987 built part of the hospital shall continue to provide medical care, providing the services of the closed Aston Hall and Grove Hospital's south of Derby.​

One of the corridors just as you walk in.
14053630729_98b7d5ece3_b.jpg

I'm assuming all power is out in the Hosptial because after ringing the bell for a Uniform, Nobody came...
14260381153_a056aa5464_b.jpg

I was quite shocked that these weren't smashed like every other bit of glass in there.
14217084096_71b8c1d4c5_b.jpg

Some doors through a hole
14237989522_d01971676e_b.jpg

I was also shocked that the locals hadn't taken this to Cash Converters
14236944321_9d26b1255f_b.jpg

A pressure...thing
14238004052_2cdc03423b_b.jpg

Window Close-up
14238015182_39104d511b_b.jpg

Someone has actually taken the time to smash each and every window.
14239897514_728a6f70b1_b.jpg

Did anyone on here leave the bottle of water? I'm assuming it was explorers by the size of it.
14238218332_ec30425e9a_b.jpg

Corpse is watching you.
14240478305_e6265c3cb5_b.jpg

Creeping through the windows
14217318676_c58607f810_b.jpg

That's all until next time. We're hoping to go back in a bigger group incase of another run in with the local doleys (Safety in numbers)

Thankyou for taking time to read my report. I really enjoyed the short amount of time we spent here and can't wait to re-visit and get a better report and some more impressive pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks. It was a good day mate. I'll try to get the Nocton report on tonight too. I forgot how long it takes to do them. The toilet shots the one I've put on IG.

Leeds(Ex)plorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice shots mate!

I'm puzzled by this statement though 'Did anyone on here leave the bottle of water? I'm assuming it was explorers by the size of it.'

I didn't know we had our own bottle size

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Didn't see any caravans. But there were Gypsies. I'd definitely recommend going here in a group in the future. Shouldn't be too long now until the place is just bricks.

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice shots mate!

I'm puzzled by this statement though 'Did anyone on here leave the bottle of water? I'm assuming it was explorers by the size of it.'

I didn't know we had our own bottle size

Thanks mate :thumb
And I mean because I can't imagine locals who are just popping in for a look taking a big water bottle with them. It would be a bit random getting a 1litre bottle for walking around town with.
I could be wrong though.

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
this will be like Clayton Hospital soon,
no remaining windows nothing left but piles of copper cable casing.

real shame

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics, pity you had too abort but better safe than sorry :)

Return on the cards then

I had a few hours dodging Scum at Clayton this weekend, which is quite hard in the dark, and trying to be quiet when every things covered in glass lol

That first pic reminds me of Clayton except there"s some light coming into the place :)

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice one :) this place is looking more and more trashed every week. I had the pleasure of visiting it in Jan this year when it was still nice and clean, 4 weeks later I couldn't believe the change. Ha the water wasn't mine, too bulky to carry when legging it from sec lol

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics, pity you had too abort but better safe than sorry :)

Return on the cards then

I had a few hours dodging Scum at Clayton this weekend, which is quite hard in the dark, and trying to be quiet when every things covered in glass lol

That first pic reminds me of Clayton except there"s some light coming into the place :)

That's what it was like here. You're trying to be quiet when approaching a new area/corridor incase security are on patrol and theres glass crunching under your feet with every step you take.

fidget64

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The pikeys have been turfed off, but they took a fair amount of scrap with them.We bumped into the Derby Massive yesterday about 20 kids male and female in traditional dress running around with iron bars smashing everything they could. They wanted me to take their pictures, I was sorely tempted to do it and send them to the local bill! The noise they were making alone was enough to waken the dead never mind the local plod...think I preferred the pikeys ;)

misterp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
spent 5 hours there yesterday and didnt see any local kids which shows you just how huge this place is, did bump into a polish copper thief who emerged out of the pitch blackness with his arms full of pipes, it was like a rabbit caught in the headlights !! also a couple who one half im guessing was fidget64 ?

fidget64

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We left about 5, couldn't hear the kids by then, didn't spot anyone on the way out. If you managed to not hear them at all you were lucky :) It was our third visit, but only a brief one, still haven't seen it all, but each trip has been like going to Meadowhall on a slow day,the number of people in the place with varying intentions has been unreal.