real time web analytics
Derelict/Abandoned in Peterborough | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Derelict/Abandoned in Peterborough

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Beamongthestars

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello all. Just like to introduce myself as im new to the Urban exploring scene, aswell as just starting out in photography.
Just wandered if anybody knew of any good derelict or abandoned places in or around Peterborough (within an hour or so). Ive been to Peterborough District Hospital recently at night but im hoping to go back soon during the day to get some better pictures before it gets completely demolished. Other than that ive not been anywhere else. I just tend to walk/drive around Peterborough looking for stuff with generally no luck.
Also if there are any fellow explorers close to me that wanna hook up sometime and go shoot somewhere im down for it.

AsyDRabbit

28DL Member
28DL Member
Ahoy :)
I'm something of a quasi-explorer. Although a conscious somnambulist might be more accurate ^_^

I mostly just used to walk around at night as I don't sleep much, but I'd sometimes jump fences and go into abandoned / deserted lots and buildings or even just tenements and schools / factories for a nose.

Thought I'd have a poke around online and see if there was anything UE related close to me - an old gf introduced me to it actually being a thing, met her on one of my walks - and stumbled across this.

Nights are to be preferred by me, although I expect I could usually manage daylight roaming with a couple of days notice.

If you - or any explorer else - have any suggested sites / wish to chat, feel free to throw a message.
Not so much into the photography as I do it for the ambience. Does free me up as a spotter though ;)

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
I'm Peterborough-based and to be honest, it's not the UE epicentre - no heavy industry, no Victorian hospitals, no asylum, etc. I'm not really bothered myself as I'm more into the hospitals and big old houses, but that new tower block next to the football ground is crying out for someone who likes high spots to take a closer look...

Beamongthestars

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I drove past the tower block by the football ground today and though hmm I wander what it would be like to get in there and up to the top haha where do you generally go then, or where have you been that you would suggest? im gunna try and get back to the hospital before it gets demolished completely. there is a few places I wanna go but im skint this month so cant really travel far which is why I was asking if anyone knew of anywhere in Peterborough.
I do want to try and get into the old maternity unit but its all boarded up and its hard to get round there without being seen as its right behind the walk in center :/
Would be good if a few people could get together and go shoot somewhere because at the moment I go by myself and it would be nice to have other people round lol
@AsyDRabbit Where are you based mate?

Beamongthestars

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Right ive just had a quick drive round in my car and theres potentially 3 places in Peterborough that may be good.
The old pet food factory on Shrewsbury avenue which is closed and disused.
An old abandoned house on London Road, as far as im aware its been disused for about 15 years, maybe more. However it is boarded up so getting in could pose a problem.
And then like ASOM said the new tower block of flats they are building by the Posh football ground but as this is very exposed it may have to be an early morning/late night explore and would be best with more than 1 person so someone can spot potential unwanted encouters.

If anyone is interested in either of the above get in touch and we can sort something out!!

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
You've got a couple of power stations to choose from really. Kings Lynne has been closed for a couple of years and Peterborough is now configured open cycle. It's technically still open, but it's not generating full time.

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
If you're interested I can tell you how to get onsite at either, I'm not likely to be back in the country to do it myself for a while now!

Beamongthestars

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeh could you tell me how to get into the peterborough one. If i can get a couple people together ill go down there.

Beamongthestars

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
UPDATE:
Mars Pet food factory has been demolished. Went back there today and theres no buildings there anymore as far as I can see.

darbians

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If thats aimed at me I would love to know. Looked to me impossible not to get on cctv at Kings Lynn.

AsyDRabbit

28DL Member
28DL Member
UPDATE:
Mars Pet food factory has been demolished. Went back there today and theres no buildings there anymore as far as I can see.

Not sure if this is something that's well-known / expected, but from an outsider's perspective checking the council for news of planned renovations / building / demolitions seems like it may bear fruit :)

JoeHambleton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
New to the urban exploring myself but I recently stumbled across RAF Upwood and can't seem to stay away, it's about an hour drive from Peterborough city centre but definitely worth it! When you first enter if the gates are open don't drive in, there is a building site the other side of the military base and sometimes they lock the gate midway through the day and then there is no way of getting your car out but there is a large gap in the fence to the side of the gate so don't worry about personally getting out. It is a vast area so taking a buddy or two is advised, you'll most likely bump into other young photographers or the occasional dog walker. I'd also advise going in the day, the 30+ buildings on the site can become very confusing and you may get lost but other than exploring buildings there are two tanks which you are able to get inside and even the old military kitchen has its big ovens left. It's personally amazing and the conditions the buildings are in, it's spooky, the walls will be covered in graffiti but then the floors will be completely spotless. If anyone is up for going and needs a buddy I'm more than happy to go!

Who has read this thread (Total: 180) View details