Web
Analytics
Report - - Derelict Building in Lowestoft Port, Commercial Road | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Derelict Building in Lowestoft Port, Commercial Road

FunctionDisruption

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a report on a recent exploration of mine. I found this building on Google maps, which lies within Port Harbor. I went on my own. The date of the visit is 2nd June 2021 (02/06/2021)

Port Harbor was known for it's extensive fishing business many years ago. Warehouses and ship building companies were at their prime from the 1960s to 2003, but as of now, they currently lay under appreciated and at threat for being discarded, as new development plans prepare for new energy sectors for wind and tidal power, leaving fishermen with their best days behind them, turning victorious returns of fish-full nets into dry exhaustion of tough business choices. This leads to more and more abandonment, which leads to more and more forgotten history.

The building specifically is one with no name. It is a suspected community house on Commercial Road, which has been around for possibly over 20 years. I could barely find any information from the web, so I only have what I've got now to examine. Age has crawled up it's surfaces, rotting it from the inside and tearing apart the roof, nowadays anything left behind from a secret life has been destroyed or stolen, as the building has become a hiding hole for homeless people, vandals, and thieves. It's full of spray paint, from large, polished artwork to crude language. For these reasons, I'm choosing to call this the Tattooed Shelter, for the sake of a much needed title.

------
When I got inside, it was completely empty, which I am very grateful for. I took photos of practically everything I saw, although I'm only broadcasting my favourites. There was rubble, brick, and litter everywhere, from the visits of other people. I heard that it was still frequently used, but all of the rubbish was grey and dusty, and it was hard to tell how recent any of it was.

Some of the art was very beautiful. I found a message saying, 'Art is the weapon made of love' which made me view the paintings more positively, until I walked upstairs and found a gallery of penis drawings and a fair amount of sexual phrases. Then the magic disappeared again.

I confirmed that it had been used regularly by some people as upstairs I found a broken mattress, old clothes, and food packets and cans everywhere. It looked like someone had stayed for a long time. In the same room, I found an enormous PePe painting, which I gladly documented.

Overall, it was an abused building, full of rubbish. It made me sad to think about what caused this building to be deserted in the first place. At least I got to examine it before it was torn down for the new reusable energy companies.

------
This is my first report, so if I've missed anything, please let me know. Thank you so much for reading. Here are the photos I collected from my visit.

FunctionDisruption

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello everyone! I just need to document a health hazard I have found.

I've woken up this morning to a very painful throat. I believe this is due to breathing in the dust and dirt accidentally during this expedition. I was wearing a facemask the entire time, but it may have not been enough because it wasn't flush against my skin.

If you are planning on going here: Wear a mouth/nose covering that grants you as much protection as possible. Gaps in the covering may lead to inhalation of hazardous substances. Wish you all luck.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Well done on 1st report. The only thing that is needed to make this report properly formatted, is a name for the building. And I know you've mentioned date of visit in the text, but preferably for formats sake, we ask for just month & year in the title bar. I wouldn't give exact date of explore as its protection for you. Ie if something happened on the 2nd, and the building caught fire, you would be a suspect. So we tend to protect ourselves from things like this.

Anyway good 1st report, big welcome to 28DL regards CJ

FunctionDisruption

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well done on 1st report. The only thing that is needed to make this report properly formatted, is a name for the building. And I know you've mentioned date of visit in the text, but preferably for formats sake, we ask for just month & year in the title bar. I wouldn't give exact date of explore as its protection for you. Ie if something happened on the 2nd, and the building caught fire, you would be a suspect. So we tend to protect ourselves from things like this.

Anyway good 1st report, big welcome to 28DL regards CJ
Thanks a lot! It's reassuring to hear this. I'll keep in mind the date for future reports.

As for the name of the building, I think I spent over 2 hours trying to find the name for the building, and I couldn't find any. I searched using Google Maps, Wikipedia, community property searches, Youtube, and more, but I couldn't find anything. If I ever find the name, I'll immediately update this, but for now my own title is all I could get.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Thanks a lot! It's reassuring to hear this. I'll keep in mind the date for future reports.

As for the name of the building, I think I spent over 2 hours trying to find the name for the building, and I couldn't find any. I searched using Google Maps, Wikipedia, community property searches, Youtube, and more, but I couldn't find anything. If I ever find the name, I'll immediately update this, but for now my own title is all I could get.
Agreed, its not always possible to get a name. Well done again, hope your throat feels better soon.