real time web analytics
Report - - Derelict Youth Hostel, Tweedenhead, Newcastleton Forest, Scottish Borders - September 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Derelict Youth Hostel, Tweedenhead, Newcastleton Forest, Scottish Borders - September 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mike881NW

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:

There is very little history on this place, it doesn't even exist on an OS map., I spotted it 11 years ago when I was biking in the forest and I have been back many times since. The room with the bunk beds has a fantastic green decay. There is loft space with more artifacts but no easy access. As I was on my own, I didn't fancy going up there without a leggy. I assume that it was a youth hostel of some kind, it has 6 downstairs rooms - a kitchen, 2 large living/social type rooms, a room with bunk beds, a kitchen and a communal toilet with shower cubicles. It looks like it has long been deserted, possibly 15 years or more.

The Visit:

The site is in the middle of a deep forest, is unsecured and only accessible by foot. The building is deteriorating quickly and requires careful footwork.

FOiuV.md.jpg

FO6yQ.md.jpg

FOswB.md.jpg

FOLZP.md.jpg

FOZn1.md.jpg

FOtMF.md.jpg

FOD6g.md.jpg

FOpcJ.md.jpg

FOmFa.md.jpg

FOy8v.md.jpg

FeH9R.md.jpg

Fe2tI.md.jpg

FeJup.md.jpg

FeFnt.md.jpg

FedwN.md.jpg

FeKMX.md.jpg

FefPn.md.jpg

Fex94.md.jpg

FeBFs.md.jpg

FezAl.md.jpg

FeCcG.md.jpg

FenSf.md.jpg

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
To quote Nick Cave, "Deep in the woods, yeahhhh!". Looks really remote. Great find. I can normally locate stuff if I've got something to go on, but that one has beaten me!

Last edited:

demble

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
On google maps there looks to be roads running right past this, are they gated off? Lovely shots BTW

Mike881NW

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
On google maps there looks to be roads running right past this, are they gated off? Lovely shots BTW
Thanks :) - most of the tracks are vehicle gated and the land is owned by the Forestry Commission, biking and walking is permitted in the area. The place is about a 45-1 hour walk. Drop me a pm if you need any help.

Mrochester

28DL Member
28DL Member
I’ve just run passed this abandoned building but didn’t really stop to have a look. It’s certainly very remote but easily accessible along forestry commission tracks. The building is marked on OS explorer map 324.

Mike881NW

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’ve just run passed this abandoned building but didn’t really stop to have a look. It’s certainly very remote but easily accessible along forestry commission tracks. The building is marked on OS explorer map 324.
It can be accessed by bike or on foot, I wouldn't recommend driving as the gates are often locked and the road is very rough in places. I only ever found the outline of the building on an os map, not what it was called or anything.

Who has read this thread (Total: 211) View details