real time web analytics
Report - - Detached Bastion ; Dover. Aug 17 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Detached Bastion ; Dover. Aug 17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Tunnels

The Drop Redoubt is certainly a formidable looking structure even now, with its massive walls, bombproof casemates and the caponiers providing excellent means of defence. Surrounding the Drop Redoubt is a dry ditch system over which the caponiers would have provided fire against any enemy infiltration. Known as Lines, they served a very similar purpose to mediaeval moats.
The East Ditch leads from the Drop Redoubt to the harbour, and on the opposite side of the Redoubt, the Line extends out towards the Citadel. This was essential as the Citadel served as a place of final retreat should the rest of the Western Heights fall to the enemy. Access to the Redoubt was via a bridge, the evidence of which is still very clear. The Drop redoubt is not safe and a lot of damage is inside.

Explore
The explore was very exciting. Quite a walk, and a few obstacles to get past. But once outside the surroundings were huge and high. The view was stunning. But sadly my camera was in my bag so didn't get a clear shot of the view.

IMG_6325.jpg

IMG_6326.jpg

IMG_6329.jpg

IMG_6334.jpg

IMG_6335.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

IMG_6338.jpg

IMG_6348.jpg

IMG_6352.jpg

IMG_6355.jpg

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6370.jpg

IMG_6372.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

IMG_6375.jpg

Thankyou for reading.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Hey, as you have not posted any tunnels under dover and have posted a single location (Detached Bastion) then the title should name the location rather than 'tunnels in dover'. This makes it easy for others to find your report in the future. Good to see some locals posting bits though, keep it up :thumb

Calamity Jane

Regular User
Hey, as you have not posted any tunnels under dover and have posted a single location (Detached Bastion) then the title should name the location rather than 'tunnels in dover'. This makes it easy for others to find your report in the future. Good to see some locals posting bits though, keep it up :thumb

Thanks obscurity. I did write originally that I had no history on these, and couldnt find a name and if any one recognized them please help me out. I then dug around a bit more and found some bits about non public redoubt, and sort of pieced it together. But forgot to Edit title. I editted the non history lol. So are these drop redoubt or just a detached Bastion? I will title with what you say. Im guessing your local to here then. Have you done them obscurity?

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

Regular User
Thanks obscurity. I did write originally that I had no history on these, and couldnt find a name and if any one recognized them please help me out. I then dug around a bit more and found some bits about non public redoubt, and sort of pieced it together. But forgot to Edit title. I editted the non history lol. So these are these drop redoubt or just a detached Bastion? I will title with what you say. Im guessing your local to here then. Have you done them obscurity?

Ive changed it to your title , or should it be the drop if it right ?

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Ive changed it to your title , or should it be the drop if it right ?

Yes I am local, Dover is my playground :thumb
Feel free to ask if your unsure of bits around this way. This is the detached bastion. The Drop Redoubt is located in a separate moat and is maintained by the Western Heights Preservation Society. You also have another section referred to as the North Entrance which is the double red doors seen from the road and the rear being the draw bridge found in the moat further around from Detached Bastion. North entrance was the original road way before the current road was built. I thought you was fairly local as you've posted some Kent bits.

Calamity Jane

Regular User
Yes I am local, Dover is my playground :thumb
Feel free to ask if your unsure of bits around this way. This is the detached bastion. The Drop Redoubt is located in a separate moat and is maintained by the Western Heights Preservation Society. You also have another section referred to as the North Entrance which is the double red doors seen from the road and the rear being the draw bridge found in the moat further around from Detached Bastion. North entrance was the original road way before the current road was built. I thought you was fairly local as you've posted some Kent bits.

Great stuff. Thankyou for that. Couldnt get in any other way than what I did. All enterances sealed with metal sheets :( so this was a right mission to be honest lol. Being disabled and have MS didnt help much, but im proud I did it :thumb Any maps to more gladly received, just hope its easier access lol.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Nicely done mate,i did just log in and see a shout on chatbox from you but i cant find it,im assuming you was after a name for this place lol

Calamity Jane

Regular User
Nicely done mate,i did just log in and see a shout on chatbox from you but i cant find it,im assuming you was after a name for this place lol

Spot on Wevsky , I did. I struggled to find the info and name and thats what the shout was. No worries. I know the more I do down that way I have you and now Ovbs too, to help me with names. But my god what a mission lol. No easy way in here. Looked everywhere. So had to do a Lara Croft, not easy with only one leg with reflex and 9 discs gone. Proud of myself for this one :)

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Spot on Wevsky , I did. I struggled to find the info and name and thats what the shout was. No worries. I know the more I do down that way I have you and now Ovbs too, to help me with names. But my god what a mission lol. No easy way in here. Looked everywhere. So had to do a Lara Croft, not easy with only one leg with reflex and 9 discs gone. Proud of myself for this one :)

Good chap is that obscurity,and yeah entry is a little tricky on this one

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Great stuff. Thankyou for that. Couldnt get in any other way than what I did. All enterances sealed with metal sheets :( so this was a right mission to be honest lol. Being disabled and have MS didnt help much, but im proud I did it :thumb Any maps to more gladly received, just hope its easier access lol.

Yeah access used to be much easier until the powers that be decided to make yet another attempt to keep the school kids out of the place, though you can see why with that upper floor!
There is plenty of stuff to see around dover, some bits easier than others, I would say with your 'restrictions' you may be limited but if you got in here the way I think (involving a climb up a wall) then you shouldn't have any issues getting into most other bits.

The deep shelters are always good and some are pretty easy to access (South foreland 1&2, Langdon hole, z rockets, hougham) there is also other bits around the western heights such as Archcliffe galleries

Calamity Jane

Regular User
Yeah access used to be much easier until the powers that be decided to make yet another attempt to keep the school kids out of the place, though you can see why with that upper floor!
There is plenty of stuff to see around dover, some bits easier than others, I would say with your 'restrictions' you may be limited but if you got in here the way I think (involving a climb up a wall) then you shouldn't have any issues getting into most other bits.

The deep shelters are always good and some are pretty easy to access (South foreland 1&2, Langdon hole, z rockets, hougham) there is also other bits around the western heights such as Archcliffe galleries

Your correct Obs ,wall, then high hole shall we say. Bruised knees for sure lol. I think I may find slopes and such easier going down on bum, but im determined when I want to be lol. I have loads of back catalog but lost half due to non back up issues!! but still have from 2013 til now, but never did Dover. So im mixing new and old reports. Ive only put up one report where the location has gone now, all others are still there :)