real time web analytics
Report - - Dewsbury Union Offices,West Yorkshire - June 2022 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dewsbury Union Offices,West Yorkshire - June 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wally_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

The Dewsbury Union Offices is a Victorian-era building constructed as the headquarter offices of the Dewsbury Union in the 1890s on the site of the old court, police station and lock-ups, which had moved their function to the new Town Hall when its construction was completed in 1889.
Dewsbury Poor Law Union was formed in 1837 to administer the Poor Law in the eleven parishes of Dewsbury, Batley, Gomersal, Heckmondwike, Liversedge, Lower Whitley, Mirfield, Morley, Ossett, Soothill, Thornhill, and the Union was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians. In addition to the 11 original parishes, Birkenshaw, Birstall, Gawthorpe and Ravensthorpe joined later in the 1890s.
The building was last used as a registry office for weddings, births and deaths up until 2012 when the services moved over to Dewsbury town hall. Since then, in 2018 there was planning permission applied for to convert the building into a hostel. However, planning permission was rejected so the building lays derelict.

The Eeplore

After pretty much a day of mostly fails I thought id try 1 last place.. the DWP building in Dewsbury.
After looking at it on maps I wasn't holding my breath as its right in the town centre and I expected there to be shed loads of people about.
When I got there to my surprise it was actually fairly quiet for the time of day so I had a quick look around the building to see if there was a way in which amazingly enough there was.
Once inside the smell of decay was strong so decided to use a face covering to mask the smell of rot and mould.
The building is quite small but has a lot to offer for an explore… the remains of some mosaic tiled flooring, a stunning staircase, lovely decay, and of course some stunning ceilings
A pretty decent explore to be fair and i left a happy man dispite many fails that day.

Looking in to 1 of the most decayed rooms where nature is reclaiming an old fire place

Some mosaic flooring, very nice!

Another 1 of the rooms & the fire place seems to have gone walkies

In the main entrance hall now. Some nice decay and a rather nice staircase

More from the stairs..

At the top of the stairs.

The cealing in this room was quite nice

Finally 1 from the front outside

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Rather nice set. Love the decay, the og windows, ceilings and iron work on stairs. Nicely covered this. :thumb