real time web analytics
Report - - Digbeth Cold Storage, Birmingham - March 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Digbeth Cold Storage, Birmingham - March 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
This brick giant has been the subject of many conversation whilst walking past into the ghetto-charmed backstreets of Digbeth. Built in 1899 under the watchful eye of Ernest C. Bewlay, this Cold Storage provided goods for the local markets as well as distribution to other companies.

It spans over 5 floors, and is split into different cold compartments, all encased in wood, with a cork-like insulation in the walls. Wooden ventilation ducts passed cold air throughout the building to maintain a constant temperature. The latest date I could find anywhere is 1999 off an old calender in the foreman's office, and with internet history sparse it's proving difficult to lay out an exact history.

Visited with Sammydoublewhammy and Bubblehead, after a couple of weeks waiting and watching since seeing developments progress in the area. According to SkyscrapperNews the building is awaiting renovation as part of the soon-to-happen (apparently) Beorma Quarter of Birmingham, which will see it turned into "alternative accomodation."

However, another news article I found says "The Cold Store, a Grade II-listed former storage depot in Digbeth, would be revamped as a theatre or concert venue, topped by a glass bubble inspired by nearby Selfridges." And all renders I've seen on the development show the facade kept as it is, just revamped inside, so fingers crossed!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg