real time web analytics
Report - - Dingle Tunnel (Liverpool Overhead Railway) | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dingle Tunnel (Liverpool Overhead Railway)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

U

Urban Soldier

As i am from Liverpool originally i grew up after the overhead railway had been demolished but always hearing grandparents and family talk about the "Dock Road Umbrella" In fact as a kid i used to play on the old decomissioned lines that were near Seaforth and Litherland station at the bottom of my road. (As station that still exists today for modern trains)

Well i landed at Liverpool today returning from Paris and thought before i drive home to Manchester i should go and try and find the way into part of the only visible remains of the Liverpool overhead railaway "Dingle Station" Ironically the only part of the overhead railway that was "Underground"

At 3/4 of a mile long and now owned by a garage that stores its spares and old motors within the first half its a grand old tunnel

I know its been done before but a bit of the history and then some pictures

As early as 1852 the railway had been suggested, although it was not until much later that the railway came into existence. Engineers Sir Douglas Fox and James Henry Greathead were commissioned to design the railway.
From the outset in 1888 electric traction was chosen, due to the possibility of sparks from the burning coal of steam power igniting the cargoes in close proximity to the railway. The railways was the world's first urban railway to be designed for electric traction from the outset. The City and South London Railway was the first railways to operate on electric traction in 1890. However cable traction was originally chosen and during construction due to the cable contractors liquidation, electric traction was selected in 1889. The works commenced on the Overhead Railway in 1889 being completed in January 1893.
The railway was the world's first electric elevated railway and the first to use automatic signalling and electric signal lights. The railways had another first in being double-decked along most of its length with freight trains operating under the passenger deck.

The railway was carried mainly on iron viaducts, with a corrugated iron decking, onto which the tracks were laid. As such, it was vulnerable to corrosion - especially as the steam-operated Docks Railway operated beneath some sections of the line. During surveys it was discovered that expensive repairs would be necessary to ensure the line's long term survival, at a cost of £2 million. The Liverpool Overhead Railway Company could not afford such costs and looked to both Liverpool City Council and the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board for financial assistance. This was to no avail.
The Liverpool Overhead Railway Company had no option but to go into voluntary liquidation. Accordingly, and despite considerable protest, the line was closed on the evening of 30 December 1956.​

1930s-1.jpg

lor_old4.jpg

Although this is a couple of mile down the old line i love this picture as it shows the train cars and also a "Black" covered in dirt and grime Liver Buildings

lor_old7.jpg

DSC02618.jpg

DSC02610.jpg

DSC02587.jpg

DSC02606.jpg

DSC02566.jpg

DSC02561.jpg

DSC02563-1.jpg

DSC02565.jpg

DSC02584.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: