real time web analytics
Report - - Dinorwic Quarry, Dinorwig - May/June 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dinorwic Quarry, Dinorwig - May/June 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Two visits in the space of a couple of weeks. I've been wanting to get back here since 2011 when I first did some of the lower levels on a wales weekender. This year we managed another wales weekender but ran out time to get up high to the good stuff. I found myself with a late afternoon recently to get back up once again and this time in much different weather conditions I made it up beyond the Australian level. The cloud levels got so low at one point that I was worried I might be staying the night in one of the old workers huts. Thankfully the sun came out and the views rocked once more.

The Dinorwic Slate Quarry is a large former slate quarry, now home to the Welsh National Slate Museum, located between the villages of Llanberis and Dinorwig in north Wales. It was the second largest slate quarry in Wales, indeed in the world, after the neighbouring Penrhyn Quarry. It covered more than 700 acres (2.8 km2) consisting of two main quarry sections with 20 galleries in each and a number of ancillary workings. Extensive internal tramway systems connected the quarries using inclines to transport slate between galleries.

The first commercial attempts at slate mining took place in 1787, when a private partnership obtained a lease from the landowner, Assheton Smith. Although this met with moderate success, the outbreak of war with France, taxes and transportation costs limited the development of the quarry. A new business partnership led by Assheton Smith himself was formed on the expiry of the lease in 1809 and the business boomed after the construction of a horse-drawn tramway to Port Dinorwic in 1824. At its peak in the late 19th century, “when it was producing an annual outcome of 100,000 tonnes”, Dinorwic employed over 3,000 men and was the second largest opencast slate producer in the country. Although by 1930 its working employment had dropped to 2,000, it kept a steady production until 1969.

IMG_6761.jpg

IMG_6766.jpg

IMG_6779.jpg

IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_6924.jpg

IMG_6926.jpg

IMG_6940.jpg

IMG_6943.jpg

IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

IMG_6990.jpg

IMG_7001.jpg

IMG_7014.jpg

More - http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/industrial/dinorwic-quarry-2

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Some cracking photos there :thumb One of my favorite places for a stroll, even though it's man made it looks as if it should be there.

Ilyria

Wanderer
28DL Full Member
Great pics. Went for a walk up there today myself. Didn't make it to Australia though. Didn't fancy the ladders