real time web analytics
Report - - Dinorwic Quarry Llanberis Australia Level Sept 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dinorwic Quarry Llanberis Australia Level Sept 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Georgie60

exitus acta probat
28DL Full Member
Whilst sorting out my albums today came across these from September last year.I remember being inspired by georgie’s fantastic report on this place and thinking could I haul my old ass up there?.
Cant compete with georgie as to the history but heres a few bits from me.
Dinorwic Slate Quarry was the second largest in the world,covering over 700 acres.First attempts of slate mining took place in 1787 and at its peak in the late 19th Century was producing an annual outcome of 100,000 tonnnes employing over 3000 men.It kept a steady production until 1969 when it finally closed down.
This place can be a very harsh environment to be in ,nevermind working in.Between 1822 and 1969 there had been 362 fatalities at the quarry.
The workshops at Gilfrach Ddu are now the home to the National Slate Museum,this houses the largest waterwheel on the UK Mainland with a Diameter of 15.4 metres.(Well worth the visit)
Anyway on with the pics,these are from the good bit off the beaten track AUSTRALIA LEVEL

First up The Tunnels
IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg
The Quarrymens Steps
IMG_3032.jpg
Robo quarryman?
IMG_3049.jpg
The long haul up
View attachment 441645 ,
Time for a rest,Im knackered!
IMG_3081.jpg
Quarrymens Rest Room,and did I need it!
IMG_3174.jpg
Me Boots are worn out
IMG_3187.jpg
Blondin
IMG_3145.jpg
The Ladders great fun climbing up
IMG_3157.jpg
Oh! is thats whats holding it up
IMG_3212.jpg
How the f**k did that get up here
IMG_3280.jpg
Incline for slate trucks
IMG_3308.jpg
Slate saws
IMG_3326.jpg
And finally didnt realise security was up here,they are rather harsh to say the least!!!
IMG_3339.jpg

Hope you enjoy,thanks for looking