real time web analytics
Report - - Dinorwig part 3 December 2020 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dinorwig part 3 December 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
History a very short history here just about it’s closing days .

END OF THE LINE

A photo of part of the quarry drew silent

A lovely previously took group photo .

Dinorwig Quarry. With the dawn of the Industrial Revolution slate was used to cover the roofs of factories and houses throughout Britain, mainland Europe as well as towns in North America and other parts of the world.
On 22nd August 1969 silence came to Dinorwig Quarry. After almost 200 years of hard toil, the quarry was closed and the men were sent home for the last time.
Not only did 350 men lose their jobs but a quarrying community and a way of life that had existed since the 1780's changed forever.
Everyone in the area had lived in the shadow of Dinorwig Quarry all their lives. Everyone had a father, grandfather, husband, uncle or brother who had worked there. A century earlier, closure would have been unimaginable. Dinorwig was one of the two largest slate quarries in the world ‐ and, along with its neighbour at Penrhyn, Bethesda, could produce more roofing slates in a year than all other combined slate mines and quarries world-wide.

Time for the explore!

their are some brilliant reports on this website , I am not going to try at all to compare to these in this visit / report this is the part 3 of my own , here is a link to part 1 and at the bottom is part 2 .

So the purpose of this trip was to go to another place in Wales then finish of the day here doing another section of the quarry that I have not personally seen , during this we encountered heavy snow blizzards and freezing rain that made my fingers feel like falling of

At the tourist viewing platform any one who has been will see the conditions are far from nice the wind makes me look like I have got a right fatty in lockdown !

Normally this is not flowing very much but with heavy flooding in places it was lovely to see its true capability, the wet feet don’t matter am use to this one day I’ll definitely get trench foot !

so on with a few photos of the actual visit now to the area !

A small tramway tunnel leading to one of the larger holes

back shot we don’t bother taking are torches these tunnels only go on at the most for 10 minutes so not worth carrying the lids up their

We scaled this on other visits inspecting the buildings on the way up its very sketchy to say the least I wouldn’t advise it , so on we go to the lower down regions

wastage carts ready to leave roughly 50 years ago they got loaded .
some spectacular air brushing in tribute to the men who worked here “I assume it’s air brushing “

Lovely buildings these are @Bikin Glyn need your camera here !

Couple of winch shots got to love a huge winch!

A photo of the barracks
a good by for now

A quick goat photo because I have to add in the goats I always get told !

Thanks for viewing is far from epic but hopefully worth ya time !

Attachments

• D0100DF2-9B72-4A69-A728-D9B85A74BF7B.jpeg
    D0100DF2-9B72-4A69-A728-D9B85A74BF7B.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Down and beyond

Regular User
Hope to get back up there at some point this year, i miss that part of the world.
So do I ! Luckily that was when travel was aloud and I had other business their so a few hours spare , I still need to do around a 1/4 of it is a huge place photos don’t do it justice as you well know

Down and beyond

Regular User
Man that place has so much to offer looks great if a little cold!
@HughieD beats u hands down with the goat pics though ;-)
The difference is I took the picture just for you so I should win out of kindness ! @HughieD he took it because he is famous so his photo would be better he puts a lot of effort it good old boy also his camera wouldn’t of liked the rain but the I phone lives on still ! Even though it’s been hell and back ! I live for the fun and enjoying it myself

Down and beyond

Regular User
Lovely set. Really like the cart & slate shot. The air brush portrait is great. Lovely explore :thumb
Thanks Jane , it was a nice few hours always is a great place , I have done around 3/4 of it now it is dam sketchy in some places I feel safer underground on some bits ! I don’t wish to bore everyone to death with it I’ll probably do a report on the last section when I go then a combined one with my favourite photos the highlights of it all to finish it of I like to do every inch of a place personally then you no you haven’t missed anything :D

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Thanks Jane , it was a nice few hours always is a great place , I have done around 3/4 of it now it is dam sketchy in some places I feel safer underground on some bits ! I don’t wish to bore everyone to death with it I’ll probably do a report on the last section when I go then a combined one with my favourite photos the highlights of it all to finish it of I like to do every inch of a place personally then you no you haven’t missed anything :D
sounds like a plan. Ive loved every part so far. :D

Down and beyond

Regular User
Great photos, nice report... would love to visit that place at some stage.
Thanks mate is a nice place to visit , ya do have to be careful in a lot of areas though , if you generally stick on the well walked paths your ok but going of them gets a bit sketchy

Who has read this thread (Total: 237) View details