real time web analytics
Report - - Ditherington Flax Mill, Shrewsbury | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ditherington Flax Mill, Shrewsbury

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

B

Bodger Bedge

Ditterington flax mill + maltsters

Site History:
Purpose: Processing of flax. Later used as a maltings.
Listing: Grade I, incorporating grade II* buildings.
Nestling in a suburb in the northern part of Shrewsbury it isn't much to look at - yet Ditherington Flax Mill is arguably the most important building in Shropshire.

The flax mill was built in 1796/97 by Leeds-based industrialist John Marshall and designed by his partner Charles Bage.

It's the mill's design that makes it such a groundbreaking building, because it was the first building in the world to be constructed around an iron frame.

This system was later taken up and employed to construct tall buildings all over the world

Essentially this structure represents the birth of the skyscraper, most notably adopted during the reconstruction of Chicago almost a century later.

Site report:
A bit of a cheat I am afraid!!! This building has been of interest for a while now. I believe some have managed to get inside but it is well fenced off and has security. Last weekend only it opened for viewing before they get on with the restoration work. Much of the site has been gutted and there is a lot of site activity happening - still a very interesting building. Access was only granted to the ground floor. Other floors are unsafe - apparantly.

D

Dripfed

Re: Ditherington Flax Mill, Shrewsbury - REPORT

Had the pleasure of wandering freely throughout the structure in early October. Finally found somewhere to share the pictures.
frontelevation.jpg

1stfloor2.jpg

Paranormal folk would be screaming "orbs" by now...Dust, face masks required, it smelt of rats pee.
1stfloor.jpg

This is the first floor, dark, all the windows are boarded to prevent druggies wrecking the place.
beltdrive.jpg

Some kind of odd strengthening works, with holes for beltdrives?
gallery.jpg

waterttankhole.jpg

Large hole cut in the floor to allow for a water tank, didn't care about structural loading before 1950.
strengthen.jpg

slopingroof.jpg

I'm not sure the roof is supposed to be at that angle, and the floor felt spongy on the level above.
viewfromtop.jpg

roofspacw.jpg

Virtually untouched since construction in the roof space.
roof.jpg

Not easy to get on the roof, requires some acrobatics.

The whole building is shrouded in scaffolding now, so it will (hopefully) never be seen like this again.