real time web analytics
Report - - Ditton Research Laboratory - May 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ditton Research Laboratory - May 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sirjonnyp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been meaning to have a look at this one for quite some time, so was good to get it done yesterday. Unfortunately for me it was my activity of choice after a 12 hour poker and drinking session (£60 up though :)) and three hours sleep, but I managed to soldier on and meet Starlight around the right time.

I was so lethargic that I couldn't be arsed to change my lens, so all pictures are with a 35mm.

Some history from Starlight's report:

The Ditton Laboratory, a short distance from the East Malling Research Station, was opened in 1930 by the Empire Marketing Board as a part of Cambridge University's Low Temperature Research Station. The purpose of the laboratory was to carry out experiments on the shipping of fruit across the high seas, in order to extend its life over long, seaborne journeys. This led to an experiment being carried out to simulate, as far as was possible, conditions on board a cargo ship, the so-called "ship on land" experiment. One focus of research was the Cox's Orange Pippin Apple, which had the reputation of being a difficult fruit to transport over long distances. In 1969 the laboratory was incorporated into the East Malling Research Station as the fruit storage section. Today the building is boarded up and appears to be deserted, although a fish farm and fruit distribution business continue at its rear.

Image00001.jpg

Access was easy, found an even simpler way out for my state. Those 6am Southern Comforts may have been a mistake.

Image00004.jpg

Image00021.jpg

One of the rooms on the upper level had what looked like an old essay or thesis. The page above is from a bibliography, although all of the books listed were French.

Image00025.jpg

Image00029.jpg

Image00042.jpg

Image00048.jpg

I also had a look around a few of the other buildings on site, but most were sealed other than a few outbuildings, none of which merited getting the camera out.

Image00050.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't see that many bits and pieces left over from the laboratory days, although it does have some nice features, certainly in the pump/boiler room.

Thanks for reading, more on the blog. SJP

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details