Web
Analytics
Do you think 24mm is wide enough? | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Do you think 24mm is wide enough?

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
Regular User
Ok so basically I've bought a full frame body now, but I don't have any wide angle lenses for it, or a particularly large budget either. I've considered my options and for the amount I have to spend, I think a fast(ish) prime lens is the way to go, and I can also kill two birds with one stone that way.

The Nikon 24mm 2.8D seems a fairly decent compromise between price and performance but I have some doubts as to whether it'll be wide enough for general derp rummaging etc..
I've used a 10-20 on a DX body previously and looking back at my photos I've used it at 10mm quite a bit. I'm just a bit unsure whether 24mm is going to be too tight, or whether I could work around the restrictions by putting more thought into composition rather than trying to cram everything in?

Anyone have any input, or use a 24mm (or similar) prime themselves? Is it worth considering a 20mm prime instead? Whatever I choose needs to have autofocus though (for other applications) which pretty much disregards any samyang offerings.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Do you have a lens right now, this minute?

What is your primary photography subject?

Are you able to save up more money?

elhomer12

Regular User
Do you have a lens right now, this minute?

What is your primary photography subject?

Are you able to save up more money?
Yes, I do, the widest full frame lens I have right now is a 28-80mm kit lens from the '90s :p I do still have my DX body as well which I will be keeping, along with a 17-50, but the 10-20 is going.

The primary use of this lens will be general exploring, a bit of landscape occasionally and sometimes being used in a bar so a 2.8 lens would be good.

Yes, that's an option but it might take a while as I'm not working much at the minute, plus I'm a student anyway.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
How about sell the 10-20, add the cash to your prime lens fund, and see what's available in a wider f2.8?

elhomer12

Regular User
I am sort of in the process of selling the 10-20, along with a few other bits I don't need any more but nobody is buying :( I'll put it up in the for sale section on here in the next couple of days to see if anyone wants it before I resort to ebay.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
IMO no but i"m not you ;)

There"s plenty of cheap wide angle options out there on Ebay etc and i"d suggest F2.8 is not a requirement (even thought my UWA is i never use it wide open)

Most people shoot as wide as their lens allows for this stuff so i"d suggest as wide as possible but a UWA Zoom rather than a prime personally, but you"re in charge, they"re gonna be your pics so it"s kind of irrelevant what anybody else uses focal length wise :confused:

Don"t forget a 10mm lens on a crop body is equivalent to @15-16mm lens on FF

The best lens is the one on your camera at the time of use ;)

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
If you have a look through the general photo thread, almost all of mine for a while now are with a 24 1.4. It's reasonably wide on a full frame body but a lot less distortion.

PopPunkJamie

Irregular User
28DL Full Member
+1 for the Sigma Art series lenses, the image quality is amazing and they cost about half the price of top end Canon/Nikon range

elhomer12

Regular User
I was thinking of going for the Nikon 20mm 2.8D but I'm still not sure if a 24 would be better after looking through jST's flickr. A 24 would definitely have its place, but I can't help but think I may want the wider angle of the 20 since this would be my only wide-angle lens. (Apart from a 35mm 1.8 DX that I may be tempted to use sometimes)

BoroLad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Agreed with what was said above.
If you want a good prime go for sigma.
Just as good as Nikon but a lot less £££
If you can get your hands on one Sigma do a 20mm 1.8 that is full frame but hard to get your hands on now they are out of production sure Ebay or Amazon may have some in good nick though...

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
I don't really do FF but i know that wouldn't be wide enough for a lot of exploring shots i take. Depends if you're in it to document or just for arty reasons really i suppose.

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
If you can get your hands on one Sigma do a 20mm 1.8 that is full frame but hard to get your hands on now they are out of production sure Ebay or Amazon may have some in good nick though...
I've owned a Sigma 20mm for a few years now and it's generally ok but 1.8 is very misleading. Imo it takes soft as shit pics on anything less than 2.8. It's prob. the least used lens I own tho.

Last edited:

BoroLad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@Els fair enough...
Was just going off reviews never owned one.

All I use other than that my 30mm 1.4 is a 16-50mm 2.8 what is a crop version of what @Camera Shy suggested :)

Reactions: Els