real time web analytics
Report - - Dodge Hill Air Raid Shelter, January 2021 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dodge Hill Air Raid Shelter, January 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DeaKew

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
Dodge Hill is one of three public air raid shelters in Stockport, along with Brinksway and Chestergate. The deep level shelters were the largest purpose built civilian air raid shelters in the country, Dodge Hill being the smallest of the three with a capacity of around 2,000. The shelters were first opened in October 1939 although Stockport was not bombed until almost a year later, on 11th October 1940. The tunnels at Dodge Hill run for 200m, passing below St Mary’s Church. The tunnels are carved into the large sandstone embankment beneath Heaton Norris; due to the soft composition of the hillside the work was completed in only 4 months by a team of men with pneumatic drills and other hand-tools. The design of the shelters ensured a fresh air supply from the street level; cool fresh air flowed down into the tunnels while the warmer stale air rose back up and out again. The shelters were closed and the entrances sealed in 1948.

The Explore
This explore was the first for me in a long time, so as I left work for the day and headed off to Stockport I could have been described as 'slightly giddy'. The entrance to the tunnels was pretty easy to find after a leisurely clamber down the embankment and then we were in! There’s not much left in there other than the old triple bunk bed frames, toilets, old wiring and evidence of other people having been down there. We also found out that if you knock the toilet divide walls in the right way it makes a noise that, when you first do it, will make your heart drop into your boots with a healthy amount of fear, which was nice. We stopped down there for a quick picnic tea then made our way back out while the evening was still young.

Attachments

• 080121_01.JPG
    080121_01.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 080121_07.JPG
    080121_07.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 080121_14.JPG
    080121_14.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 35

ales1000

28DL Member
28DL Member
First urbex for me in a while so I visited Dodge Hill today. Apr '23

There were three entrances of which two are now impenetrable with concrete blocks and welded sheet steel... the third is open via a rope up a small cliff and through a very small hole in the cliff face.

Upon squeezing my chubby gut through the hole I thought we were in and ready to explore. Only to be met with what looks like a 10ft thick internal concrete wall about 100ft inside the tunnels. Absolutely no chance of getting through! Had to call it a day and return home

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
First urbex for me in a while so I visited Dodge Hill today. Apr '23

There were three entrances of which two are now impenetrable with concrete blocks and welded sheet steel... the third is open via a rope up a small cliff and through a very small hole in the cliff face.

Upon squeezing my chubby gut through the hole I thought we were in and ready to explore. Only to be met with what looks like a 10ft thick internal concrete wall about 100ft inside the tunnels. Absolutely no chance of getting through! Had to call it a day and return home
Drove pasy here a few weeks back & swear the same entrance was open we used several years back but didnt go to investigate so may be wrong

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
That's unfortunate, not only because you didn't get any further, but more so in that the sandstone walls are going to get battered by people picking around it. Did you get a picture of this concrete wall? It seems odd that a wall has been put up there.

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User

Its been sealed like this a few times but it gets opened up again and then the council takes months to seal it up again