real time web analytics
Report - - Dodge Hill Air Raid Shelters - Stockport - Dec 12 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dodge Hill Air Raid Shelters - Stockport - Dec 12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
Dodge Hill Deep Shelter - Stockport

Of the 3 Air Raid Shelters in Stockport, Dodge Hill was the smallest although still able to accomodate upto 2000 People at anyone time.
It was built in 1938 with the use of pneumatic drills as the red sand stone was very easy to work.

As the threat of bombing receded in 1943 the decision came that the tunnels were no longer needed, and by the end of the war they were closed and blocked leaving them virtually intact to this date.

The two original entrances face out onto a small residential area of Dodge hill itself, and have been blocked up from street level, however as the sandstone is so soft, it invariably opens back up from time to time.

Visited solo whilst waiting for Noodlethesis, low on torch and camera battery, soaking wet with a chest infection and a blinding hangover from the night before :thumb

dodge1.jpg

Just inside the entrance, very wet underfoot

dodge2.jpg

dodge3.jpg

dodge4.jpg

I was pleased to find so many bunks intact, I'm sure these were on their side last time I visited

dodge5.jpg

Toilet blocks

dodge9.jpg

You guessed it...Toilet !

dodge6.jpg

dodge7.jpg

dodge8.jpg

dodge10.jpg

Looking up towards street level

dodge11.jpg

Camera was beginning to steam up and wouldn't focus, and the hangover was kicking in

dodge12.jpg

Might have to go back to have a play with the light, but for now, thanks for looking and do come again :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details