real time web analytics
Report - - Dodge hill and Brinksway stockport 02/2010 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dodge hill and Brinksway stockport 02/2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

O

Oldskool

Stockport’s tunnel air-raid shelters were constructed between 1938 and1939. The Chestergate shelters were a series of tunnels cut into the sandstone. The soft stone meant tunnelling was relatively easy.
The Chestergate tunnels were officially opened in October 1939, with room for 4000 people. At first they were little used but when the Blitz on London and other cities began in the autumn of 1940 the tunnels came into their own. Stockport Council announced at the end of October that the tunnels were to be extended to provide accommodation for 7000 and that bunk beds would be installed.
Stockport people say that the bulk of the space in the tunnels was taken up by Manchester folk and that most Stockport residents were unable to get in. It is certainly true that the Council decided to introduce a ticket system and people wrote applying for tickets, often explaining they had used the shelter regularly since being bombed out of their homes and stating which particular part of the tunnels they went to each night.
The tunnels were 7 feet wide and high and had electric lighting and wooden bench seating. There were toilets, mostly chemical although a few were plumbed into the mains. A warden’s post, a first aid store and a tool store were also provided.
As the threat of bombing receded in 1943, it was decided that the tunnels no longer needed to be open every night. After the end of the War, the tunnels were sealed and remained virtually as they had been.
Visited with host turned out to be an expensive day for me broke my camera £600 for a new one ha ha needed an upgrade anyway thank god for credit anyway heres the pics tried to do something a little bit differant besides beds and red sand stone walls..would have brought a half naked lady if i could have found one...
:thumb

about_outside.jpg
about_gents.jpg

Back in the day...

DSCF1312.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

airraid3.jpg
IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

thanks for looking.......oldskool

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done mate, need to get back down there and get some more shot's.

L

Leo

Good post, i like people that make an effort. If you want access details for cathedral arches as you mentioned in a previous post then let me know. Stepping Lightly provided us with the best and most lateral thinking method of entry. I'm sure you'd do the place proud with your follow up post.

O

Oldskool

Some of them shots are fuckin brilliant. Good stuff mate.

Howdya break your camera though eh?:D

i pluged a power lead into the wrong socket and fried my chip didnt tell jessops......

O

Oldskool

Nice shots! What's that in the third to last pic? How did you get the lights turned on then?
Nice toilet a bucket with a seat lol!

just paint it mate with a mag lite

O

Oldskool

Good post, i like people that make an effort. If you want access details for cathedral arches as you mentioned in a previous post then let me know. Stepping Lightly provided us with the best and most lateral thinking method of entry. I'm sure you'd do the place proud with your follow up post.

ive already donr it mate search in my threads youll see it went in with stepping

O

Oldskool

Nicely done mate, need to get back down there and get some more shot's.

yea im ready to go back but want to spend a couple of hours tryin out some new light painting tricks cant do this weekend have to do normality (see the girl friend )

O

Oldskool

No I mean on some of the shots the light on the ceiling look yellow/on or is this a photoshop?

no mate all ive done is light painting ok if u use floresent light you will get a differant colour to halogen etc etc of you can put coloured film over your flash to create lets say a yellow light if its the stair well shot your talking about thats natural daylight shinein through the brick work dude if you want to know almost anything on light painting or the use of gels or spinning try you tube that will help you out dude ...

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details