Web
Analytics
Question - - DOES ANYONE KNOW OF....SOUTHEND.. | General Chat | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - DOES ANYONE KNOW OF....SOUTHEND..

DE-eVOLVED SS3

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi,

I am not after a location.. but I have info on some WW2 Tunnels that exist... Ive found an early video that clearly states and shows people entering the tunnel which was said to house 3000 workers etc during the air-raids... I hear the original entrance point has been blocked up but there is said to be a number of exits etc.. all I will say at this point is it was/is in Southend on Sea and a labrinth of tunnels are said to exist that cross under a certain park..

Does anyone know the place I am on about ? ....

I spoke to some older lads I work with and they spoke separately when questioned with very similar answers ... #EKCO...

Hope someone knows something about this .. ? .....

****Please remove if this question is frowned upon etc.. Many Thanks

westernsultan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is this report on line - https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/10579988.second-world-war-tunnels-unearthed-at-southend-primary-school/ and one response -
The tunnel at St Mary’s School was found when the relocatable suppliers began to dig the footings for a temporary building to be located on the west side of the school’s playground. These two new class bases are essential to provide an extra thirty places from September 13 and a further thirty from September 14 as part of the Council’s plans to ensure that there are sufficient reception places for these two years in the central area of the town.
The tunnel seems extends from the school building to underground shelters located beneath or close to the playing field. As little as possible of the area, only that immediately beneath the temporary buildings has had to be filled in to ensure the they have a stable footing. All other parts will remain untouched. There are also two other tunnels on the site, one under the library that was found when it was built, and one in the central area of the playground.
We have tried to get a balance between preserving as much of the tunnels as we can whilst ensuring the much needed extra classroom capacity is safely built.

Last edited:

DE-eVOLVED SS3

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is this report on line - https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/10579988.second-world-war-tunnels-unearthed-at-southend-primary-school/ and one response -
The tunnel at St Mary’s School was found when the relocatable suppliers began to dig the footings for a temporary building to be located on the west side of the school’s playground. These two new class bases are essential to provide an extra thirty places from September 13 and a further thirty from September 14 as part of the Council’s plans to ensure that there are sufficient reception places for these two years in the central area of the town.
The tunnel seems extends from the school building to underground shelters located beneath or close to the playing field. As little as possible of the area, only that immediately beneath the temporary buildings has had to be filled in to ensure the they have a stable footing. All other parts will remain untouched. There are also two other tunnels on the site, one under the library that was found when it was built, and one in the central area of the playground.
We have tried to get a balance between preserving as much of the tunnels as we can whilst ensuring the much needed extra classroom capacity is safely built.
Do you think they would be accessable before the plans go through ?

DE-eVOLVED SS3

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I found ...well researched hard actually ...and :) ... another Explore is happening soon ... its time sensitive though... but I really think Ive triangulated an ara of interest.