real time web analytics
Report - - Domestic Air Raid Shelter - Kotka - Finland - August 2013 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Domestic Air Raid Shelter - Kotka - Finland - August 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KronJewels

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This small air raid shelter is in the basement of an apartment block built in the 70s for managers at a nearby factory and their families. I'm told that it was a requirement for apartment blocks in Finland to have air raid shelters up until very recently, not sure on this though. The housing estate also has a larger standalone shelter built into a huge rock; I wasn't able to gain access but it is apparently sometimes hired out for conferences etc.

I'm a poor photographer with a poor camera so forgive the picture quality, I'm just looking to give an impression of the site!

The shelter is at a slightly lower level at the far end of the basement corridor, with this door separating it (imagine having this beauty sitting in your basement!):
IMG_5092.jpg

Through here you enter a room with a similar door on each side, and a sink and drain:
IMG_5093.jpg

The doors in this room lead to two large rooms; one of them is being used by the residents for drying clothes:
IMG_5094.jpg

In between the two large rooms are the toilets...
IMG_5095.jpg

...of a kind
IMG_5096.jpg

The second large room contained these huge water butts. I wonder how long they were imagining people might stay here?
IMG_5098.jpg

And also some machinery in a cage...no idea what it's for...
IMG_5099.jpg

On one wall was this beautiful electrical box:
IMG_5097.jpg

And on another was a small hatch leading to the emergency exit corridor, with a ladder at the end (this was flooded so I didn't go in):
IMG_5102.jpg

Leading out here:
IMG_5104.jpg

Not the most interesting of sites but a pretty advanced shelter for a little 3-storey apartment block!