real time web analytics
Report - - Dover 5-7/09/07 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dover 5-7/09/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shadow

GDMEODC
28DL Full Member
Right. As I mentioned on the general forums, i was off to Dover for 3 days, and now I'm back so here is the report.

On the first day I (and Adam, who for some unknown reason, isnt a member of 28DL) went to try and get into the Dover castle eastern outer moats, here Zoom Earth | LIVE weather map, storm tracker, rain radar but flashearth does not show the insanely steep hills, then a good vertical 20 foot drop, according to Adam our attempts were "made of fail" :(
I then headed down for a walk along the cliffs to Langdon Bay Searchlight Battery.

DSCF1733.jpg

DSCF1734.jpg

DSCF1736.jpg

DSCF1745.jpg

Then futher along the cliff we came to a large pill box, with two above ground rooms and two below.

DSCF1779.jpg

DSCF1781.jpg

DSCF1785.jpg

On the second day we headed off to find St Margarets Deep Shelter
(Plan of Deep Shelter courtesy of Paul Wells)

st_margs_shelter_plan.jpg

DSCF1863.jpg

DSCF1864.jpg

DSCF1878.jpg

DSCF1879.jpg

DSCF1882.jpg

DSCF1881.jpg

Then we spotted a big magazine, it had two seperate passages leading off into two large rooms.

The shell hoists were still in position

DSCF1884.jpg

DSCF1892.jpg

DSCF1902-1.jpg

On the last day we decided to go to have a look around Dover castle, and luckily enough we turned up on one of the days that they open up avranches tower, (this only happens once every couple of months)

DSCF1969.jpg

DSCF1973.jpg

DSCF1974.jpg

DSCF1984.jpg

Below the grill in the picture above was an access point into horseshoe battery, to drop down supplies an troops.

The shutters in the next pic are original, they opened and closed to allow a cannon filled with pieces of metal to be fired into the moats, the main purpose of this was to injure as many people as possible. This is one of the most messed up tactics I have ever heard, basically the theory was; to get as many people into the ditch as possible, then injure as many as possible, after this the remaining troops on the attacking force will try to rescue survivors in the ditch, so once more people have entered the ditch the gunslits along its walls were used to pick off all the survivors. Happily this tactic was never used :thumb

DSCF1976.jpg

After this we went for a wonder around the western heights. Drop Reboubt is pretty much unaccessable, and so are pretty much all the tunnels. The northern entrance might be possible for anyone willing to climb across this bridge, over a 20ft drop

DSCF2032.jpg

Around the back of the western heights is one of the many WW2 clifftop batteries ( Zoom Earth | LIVE weather map, storm tracker, rain radar ) it has been utterly chav'ed over the years and is in really bad condition

DSCF2024.jpg

DSCF2016.jpg

DSCF2020.jpg

DSCF2028.jpg

Well that just about concludes my tour of Dover, i will be heading back at some point to see the Dover castle eastern moats, and whatever else i can find. If it is any interest, i found this website extremely useful www.castlekas.freeserve.co.uk

Kai